Discussion Forum

B/W Spirit Token Deck

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=345312

I'm trying to build a deck with what I have, (Though I'm looking into getting a few more cards needed for my sideboard and some more Isolated Chapels) and I'd like some criticisms and comments as I'm still fairly inexperienced in building strong decks.
Posted 02 June 2012 at 08:16

looks like a fairly clever deck with potential. I'd like to know how it works out for you for sure. not so sure about the kill all creatures spells, but who knows, I'd change those out personally, along with maus. Gaurds (I just don't like 4 drops, but with some Virtues, I could see it being worth it)
Good luck.
Posted 03 June 2012 at 09:58

Thanks for the kind words, Zakuryu. I wasn't able to find any killing waves anyways, so they're out of the picture at this time, as for the maus guards, I don't really like them in there either, but I find that not having enough humans that drop those spirit tokens on death leaves my sacrificing cards out of balance, and I really like having the variety of them to keep my opponents on their feet.

Played a few games with my buddies, had a slow start during a three man free for all, I didn't have any creatures until turn 6, though I was able to tragic slip and later barter in blood my opponents when they did happen to take a shot at me. I also managed to get out two intangible virtues during that time, so when I was able to play lingering souls and its flashback, I had 4 3/3 fliers with vigi. Next turn my buddy made a big swing at me, but I merely bone splinter'd one of my spirits to take out his biggest guy, and let the rest hit me. Got a few more spirits, round turn 10 I had vault of the archangel and used that ability to kill off one guy and pick up 18 life, other buddy conceded after that, having no real fliers and few removal spells.

Had much better play in a 1v1, opened with doomed traveller, next turn a skirksdag high priest, followed by a midnight haunting, turn 4 I sac'd my doomed traveller with altar's reap and used my spirits to get my 5/5 demon through skirksdag, also played intangible virtue - (Not bad for the fourth turn, least I think so) he managed to kill my demon, but I just kept popping out spirits that he couldnt stop, and eventually won.

So yeah, 2-0 so far, though I've been mostly playing it casually, and I'm sure against more tournament quality decks I'll have to consider fixing this deck up a little bit.
Posted 03 June 2012 at 12:45

That's sick. I'm mostly impressed with how cheap your deck it is to build. :cool: Very cool.

Hmm, maybe a few elixirs of immortality. Some health, and good way to get a chance at whatever is in your GY again. Doomed Naysayer (a 3 drop that taps for a human token if I remember right) cathers crusade and Increasing Devotion work awesome turn 5>6, almost always a win from there. (unless ya get countered or disenchanted somehow)

I might build this just to use it for fun (when I'm bored enough,) and evolve it in my own way! No worries, credits all you Bro. ^_~
Posted 03 June 2012 at 16:57

Haha, thanks man. If I can get my hands on Cathar's Crusade, I'll definitely throw one or two in, just to beef myself up, though I'm finding human token decks much faster at amassing tokens. I may or may not add some lifegain, though I find that it tends to slow me down if I do so. (and its already a little slow) Just going to have to continue testing.
Posted 03 June 2012 at 21:27

I think you mean Thraben Doomsayer?

I've been working on making a deck siilar to this. SOme interesting ideas I hadn't thought of before. Thanks!
Posted 10 June 2012 at 16:49

Lol, yes, that's the one, hahahaha, rediculous me.
Posted 11 June 2012 at 23:43

I'm curious to know how well this would play in tourneys - I've had this deck do generally well against a few friends, and now that I've actually gotten most of the listed components, it runs even better... but I feel like I could shift out a lot of cards I currently have for making flyer spirit tokens in favour for more human tokens (currently my three gather the townsfolk are being used for early game creatures for early sac)
Also wondering if I should just remove my tragic slips in favour of more bone splinters/altar reaps/gather the townsfolk. Its nice having a work around for indestructible, though barter in blood works sometimes, and having more sac/token cards could always help. Thoughts?
Posted 13 June 2012 at 01:04