Discussion Forum

Alternative to ponder

What is an alternative card to use for modern in place of ponder, since I'm fairly certain ponder and preordain are both banned in modern.

Maybe Index? Is there anything better to use than that?

Reason I'm asking is because I have a deck that is almost completely modern legal other than the fact I have ponder in it. So I want something that cost the same (or pretty much the same) to cast and has a very similar effect to ponder or preordain.
Posted 23 August 2012 at 05:32

If there was a worthy alternative there would be no point to banning ponder. There is only worse.

these are ok:

Serum Visions
Sleight of Hand

and then there is narrow stuff like

Ancient Stirrings
Peer Through Depths

Modern is a combo format because unlike in legacy there is little to stop combo from being dominating. And what makes combo consistent, deck manipulation, so what's the solution, ban all deck manipulation. Does it help, not really, it's still a combo format.
Posted 23 August 2012 at 06:37

Well i figured there wouldn't be anything near as good or very similar to ponder, i just wanted something close to it. I like sleight of hand that most of what you showed me. Thank you very much, that helped.

And yea modern is neat, I never really tried to play it or build a deck specifically for the format til recently.

And a combo format huh? I'll keep that in mind when constructing decks for it. Nice to know how people play the format to give me some preventative. thanks
Posted 23 August 2012 at 15:38