Discussion Forum

Does this combo work?

Hello everyone,

This is my first post so please be gentle lol. I recently got back into MTG and I was wondering about an old combo I tried but I never knew if it was actually legal...

Can you use Yawgmoth's Will to discard cards in your graveyard for other cards abilities like Skirge Familiar?

Thanks for the help guys
Posted 01 September 2012 at 19:21

if it's not on the card you can't do it.
Posted 02 September 2012 at 20:47

That's the thing, it kind of is and it kind of isn't...

Yawgmoth's Will says you may "play" cards in your graveyard as though they were in your hand. If it said "cast" then there would be no question.

If it doesn't work... well it was a lot of fun to play in an old suicide black with Skirge Familiar, Yawgmoth's Bargain, Lake of the Dead and good ol' Drain Life. :D
Posted 03 September 2012 at 05:26

the term play doesn't include discarding. Play pretty much means you can cast cards including lands which is the only card type to my knowledge that you play instead of cast, which is a minor difference (stuff you cast goes on the stack and is called a spell, land doesn't use the stack and is just put into play, hence the term, you play it)
Posted 03 September 2012 at 07:10

Thanks Seth,

I recently started playing again and you just saved me some money (Yawgmoth's Will) since I now know the combo isn't illegal. I will have to keep working on this ridiculous legacy deck I have been working that used to revolve around dream halls. I am re-working it to use Omniscience instead and maybe cut out Progenitus and strengthen my turn 2 kill combo. Anyway, thanks again for the info, I appreciate it.
Posted 03 September 2012 at 11:10