Discussion Forum

W/U Control - Opinions are needed

Hi everyone,
I'm doing this deck for the first time, but I always wanted to build it. Once its finished I'm gonna buy it, but until then, I'm still running tests against other decks and need your thoughts about it and/or certain cards there (the deck is not that common I'm sure)

Thanks - http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=386288

:manau::manaw:
Posted 18 September 2012 at 18:07

looks ok but there's so much that can be improved.

- Silence is utterly useless in your deck. A good rule for a card like that is, if you want to play it you should have a deck that wins the turn you play it, if your deck can't do that don't play it.

- Divine Deflection is a rather weak spell and can easily be dropped for something better

- Why Meddling Mage? It's so very narrow, even in tournament play where strategies are pretty liniar it isn't really worth sideboarding anymore. The only thing Meddling mage is good at is slowing down liniar combo decks.

- why 2 of everything, seems so very random? Stuff like Mana leak and ponder you usually want as a full set unless they serve as more of another card that you already maxed out. Like 4 Preordain and 2 Ponder, then you are playing 6 simular cards and the edditional 2 make sense.
Posted 19 September 2012 at 07:14

Thank you for replying :)

I will try to explain what I was thinking:

1. I put 2 Silence to slow down an opponent, so that I will be able to take control faster. If I understand currectly, I can cast it not only before combat but also during upkeeps. So just by doing that, I allow my opponent to cast an instant spell as a response during his / her upkeep, and get a land in.
Again, if I play it right.. I thought 2 is enough to slow them a bit, 4 is way too much, because it will be at the expense of something else.

2. Divine Deflection could give me flexability - but I took it off 'cause I can't rely on two

3. Guess you're right, It's off

4. That was my problem.. There were so many good cards I just didn't wanna give up on anything. Ponder is a great card, but I wanted curiosity as well (mainly to go with the stalker) to get allot of cards. I couldn't change it in the deck but I also added 2x Righteous Authority instead of the Solitary Confinement (to get more cards and buff up the stalker / seer.

I made changes, but I'm still missing something.. I don't have an edge against creature decks (like tribal - vampires and others)
Posted 19 September 2012 at 16:29

deft duelist doesn't seem too great. its shroud keeps you from equipping curiosity or sigil of sleep.

i agree with seth on silence being pretty useless here. your right in the fact that it could give you a turn but i feel like that slot could be used more efficiently.

you should have 4 ponder or brainstorm or preordain. only 2 doesn't make sense

righteous authority is decent.. but 5 mana is pretty steep,
if you stick with the solitary confinement plan, squee, goblin nabob, combos for endless confinment
Posted 20 September 2012 at 02:15

It's not so much that Silence fills a cardslot, it costs you a card when you play it and you get tempo in return. The problem is you're not doing anything with the gained tempo so it's a loss. Control decks usually loose when running out of cards. Combine that with Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer and your giving your opponent serious card advantage.
Posted 20 September 2012 at 06:45

1. Well, I gave it a go without the silence and got to a conclusion you're totally right - so no more silence (added 2 more Ponder and 2 dungeon geists).

2. regarding deft duelist - I haven't find (yet) something else worth getting in for two mana that will also fit this deck.

3. What do you think about this Gwafa? I tried it once, and it was nice, but I'm still not that sure about it.

4. And about the confinment - I really like that card but I'm not sure I could draw enough cards to get it in - squee, goblin nabob is red and will cause more problems.

5. righteous authority costs 5 mana, that's allot, especially when I have my Angelic Overseers, but I really like the idea of buffing the stalker and drawing an extra card each turn. I'll try to see if there's something better for my deck for less mana.

Thanks again for helping!
Posted 21 September 2012 at 07:38

- you're obviously not supposed to play Squee, Goblin Nabob so his mana cost is irrelevant. You discard him to Confinement and his triggered ability will return him to your hand every upkeep so you can keep your confinement lock.

- I would never play Gwafa myself because I would never let my opponents draw cards (unless it kills them). Card advantage = winning. But in an easy going low power casual game it's a cute card and it's not bad, in a format like EDH for instance I can appreciate Gwafa. It's a good political card in multiplayer games.
Posted 21 September 2012 at 07:59