Discussion Forum

Cockatrice

I was told about this place and that it's a free download. It apparently allows you to play magic online with people. My questions are:

1). Is it pretty safe to download? Don't want any nasty viruses like many online games you download can cause.

2). Is it very difficult to play since there doesn't seem to be a very good way to communicate with your opponents (I could be wrong)... Are the game controls and playability of it difficult?

3). How is the community of players? Every website will have assholes, I know, but generally certain websites are prone to have more of one than the other. In other words are they understanding of people new to playing on cockatrice and trying to figure it out.

4). Do they separate play formats to find opponents, like legacy, modern, standard, casual, ect....

I just want a general idea of it before I go and download it. Let me know what you think about it and the questions I asked about it for the people who play on with it.

Thanks =]
Posted 24 September 2012 at 14:03

1. Its not full of viruses
2. You communicate via chat and can point to things on the screen with your mouse. There is no automatic life-loss, draw, ect. However this is all manageable via easy-to-remember hotkeys (most using the CTRL key) or just using the mouse. There is a list of hotkeys available on their website.
3. The majority of the community is friendly and will answer questions you may have or give you help. Many will be happy to walk you through your first game, but getting to know the controls in a game of solitaire is always a good idea.
4. Yes

I've been using cockatrice for about 7-12 months and it is a very nice program to test decks and get new ideas.
Posted 24 September 2012 at 19:54

it's good, probably the best way to play online.
Posted 24 September 2012 at 21:44

Thank you for answering my questions, and yea I've been really wanting to try it out, it seems like a fun way to play from what I've heard by people. And I'm very wary about downloading games or simulations from the web, so it's nice to know in advance if people have had problems with viruses.

I can imagine my first few games will be very slow pace getting the hot keys down, if you have to manually draw, lose and gain life I gotta be careful to to mess that up and double clicking a draw haha

Thanks for the feed back on this, I might be downloading it soon to try it out for the first time.
Posted 25 September 2012 at 04:24

you can test it offline to get used to the shortcuts.
Posted 25 September 2012 at 06:51

Ctrl+d to draw
ctrl+m to mulligan or draw opening hand
ctrl+i to roll die
ctrl+t to make token
ctrl+j to clone
ctrl+p to alter p/t
ctrl+space to advance to next phase
ctrl+l to alter life total
F3 to view library
F4 to view graveyard
Right click and drag to draw arrow
Double click to play a card or tap a card

Those are usually the only commands I use. Right clicking what you need solves everything that isn't hotkey'ed
Posted 26 September 2012 at 22:19

I'm considering switching to this client, having just discovered it myself. I have used MWS in the past but it is such a pain to find and load up the new cards and image sets.

My question is: 'does this client automatically update and apply new cards or do I have to scour the internet for downloads and manually apply them like in MWS?'

Please 'scuse my ignorance.
Posted 26 September 2012 at 22:21

[QUOTE=itsjeremyseth]I'm considering switching to this client, having just discovered it myself. I have used MWS in the past but it is such a pain to find and load up the new cards and image sets.

My question is: 'does this client automatically update and apply new cards or do I have to scour the internet for downloads and manually apply them like in MWS?'

Please 'scuse my ignorance.[/QUOTE]

You have to download cards seperatly I think, which would make sense if you think about it since there are copyright issues involved and that's what's holding these applications back. They constantly have to dance around legal issues or wizards shut them down.
Posted 27 September 2012 at 06:46

Make sure you read the code of conduct on the forums before joining the server.

Cons....
Some mods are power hungry...Absolute power corrupts absolutly.
Some players are assholes, you will get that everywhere.
The maker of each room has the ability to kick you if you beat them or if you deck is better than theirs.

Pros....
Great place to play
Great place to test new deck ideas
Access to every card in magic, including planeschase cards.
the ability to ignore trouble users, they can't join any of your games you host.
Posted 27 September 2012 at 20:11

Thanks Seth! I forgot the.. legal issues.. surrounding clients like these. I'll definately have to look into getting this one though. Nice name, by the way. ;)
Posted 28 September 2012 at 01:49

[QUOTE=sure-fire]Make sure you read the code of conduct on the forums before joining the server.

Cons....
Some mods are power hungry...Absolute power corrupts absolutly.
Some players are assholes, you will get that everywhere.
The maker of each room has the ability to kick you if you beat them or if you deck is better than theirs.

Pros....
Great place to play
Great place to test new deck ideas
Access to every card in magic, including planeschase cards.
the ability to ignore trouble users, they can't join any of your games you host.[/QUOTE]

I'll have to disagree with the first one on Cons. There's really only one mod who's a bit of a troll. I'd have to add that you can't really do sealed there. Most people just join, load a deck, and then are like "Wait... WTF is Sealed?" and leave.

To the Pros, I would like to add that there is a special format called Random Standard that changes each month which is a lot of fun to play. You can't just make a room for that though, you have to ask in chat.
Posted 30 September 2012 at 15:29

Okay, wtf is sealed?
Posted 19 October 2012 at 19:14