Discussion Forum

Turn 1 Myr Superion

So I have a deck based largely on defenders and x spell creature drops, like hydras. (granted I have a couple non-x spell creatures. They might get replaced as I get more hydras or x spell drop creatures, other than terastodon, I plan on keeping him in) But anyhow, I have 4 Tinder Walls in this deck (love that creature), and I was wanting some opinions if a turn one myr superion would be worth it to add it in.. For those who don't know what I mean...

Turn one- forest, tinder wall, sacrifice tinder wall for 2 mana, play myr superion

Sorry I don't have card links for the cards I'm talking about, haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Anyhow, thought it might be a neat little idea for the deck, maybe add like 2 superions in...

Opinions?

If it helps, this is the deck I would make the alteration to if I did do this.

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=385519
Posted 14 October 2012 at 14:47

whoa, you game me an idea. I've been wanting to play Orcish Lumberjack again in a very aggressive Loam build. Now I'm thinking making something based on this core:

4 Myr Superion
4 Tinder wall
4 Orcish Lumberjack
4 Tarmogoyf

4 Rancor

4 Life from the Loam
4 Faithless Looting

o yeah, it's comming together
Posted 15 October 2012 at 09:13

damn it suddenly occured to me that

Myr Superion = Phyrexian Dreadnought but worse

Both need another card to play them but one is a 5/6 vanilla and the other a 12/12 trampler.
Posted 15 October 2012 at 10:19

haha, I'm glad to inspire the idea! I thought about tinder wall putting out a 5/6 on turn 1 and although it didn't go with my deck too much i really wanted to include it. I really like tinder wall though, I feel like no one give that card credit, to me it's technically like a rite of flame for 1 green!

phyrexian dreadnaught is a lil harder to put out, but yea its like myr superions older brother hah.

Once you build the deck, put up the link, that has in interesting core to it and I'd like to see it. =p
Posted 15 October 2012 at 12:52

Tinder Wall has a lot of legacy potential and used to be played in Aluren decks. The body is pretty effective against creature decks like goblins and it ramps combo decks like aluren into a turn 2 kill. I've always liked it, just like I've always liked Orcish Lumberjack. In one on one games these cards can create a really unbalanced board.
Posted 15 October 2012 at 13:33

I feel I don't see enough legacy decks using cards outside of show and tell and emrakul, ect... The originality seems to be struggling with that format, It would be nice to see a competitive legacy deck that is a little bit different. Whenever I look up legacy decks, I'll see about 300 decks and 290 of them have almost the same exact cards while the other 10 have like a 5 card difference but are still basically the same. Seeing tinder wall and your orcish lumberjack in a deck that could beat a generic show and tell deck would make me happy haha

Don't get me wrong, show and tell is used so much because of how powerful it really is, and how powerful blue is to legacy. But I would like to see a lil more originality in a game of over 15,000+ cards to choose from.
Posted 15 October 2012 at 14:55

In belgium we have a very divers meta, you know there's going to be goblins, elves, fish, maverick, RUG tempo, miracles and combo (storm, reanimator and show and tell) but every tournament seems to have a bunch of other decks over here as well so you can't really plan against everything. I think there's no competitive format as divers as legacy where there is no one good strategy or one good deck, not even a few.

Even the SCG Opens are starting to be origenal, look at the last one, it had 12post, Goblins, Reanimator, EsperBlade, BUG Control, Mono-Blue Aggro, BUG Tempo, RUG Delver, Dredge, NO Rug and Nic Fit as Top12. Not one deck that's the same, not even variations on the same.
And the UB Tezzeret deck Caleb took to 1st place the tournament before that, pretty awesome if you ask me.

Sure a lot of the staples are shared between decks because they are the best at what they do but it's still the most rich and divers competitive format out there. The only downside is the cost and luckely there are many shared cards between decks so one can make many decks without to much extra cost.

But I know what you mean, it's hard to homebrew and stand a chance. The reason however is not that every strategy and every broken card has been discovered but rather that normal average players like you and I don't have the time to playtest a deck for weeks and weeks against every other deck like the big pro players can.
Posted 15 October 2012 at 15:14

[QUOTE=Seth]Even the SCG Opens are starting to be origenal, look at the last one, it had 12post, Goblins, Reanimator, EsperBlade, BUG Control, Mono-Blue Aggro, BUG Tempo, RUG Delver, Dredge, NO Rug and Nic Fit as Top12. Not one deck that's the same, not even variations on the same.
And the UB Tezzeret deck Caleb took to 1st place the tournament before that, pretty awesome if you ask me.[/QUOTE]

Thats pretty cool, I'm really glad there was such a variation in decks. I was just getting annoyed at seeing all the decks being exactly the same.

It's understandable that the reason the same decks and strategy's are used because they are so effective and have been proven to work. But I personally see no pride or fun in having a deck that everyone has. Even for the competitive level, the people that get remembered are the ones with a unique deck that beats out everyone else.

I wish I had more money and time to play test all the decks I'd like to build and face competitively, but as you stated, only the pros have the time for that, usually money isn't an issue if that is what you do for your living or you plan on competing seriously for it.

For what I have to work with I feel I have pretty good decks and strategy's. Originality is big for me, I find pride in making a deck that no one has and that no one can beat. If I beat you with a deck that everyone has and I copied it kinda feels like a win for everyones deck and not just me if you know what I mean.

But I do agree, legacy has the best potential for diversity among decks, that's why I play it the most. I find it most entertaining and interesting. I just hate seeing a tourny where half the people have very similar decks. I feel that takes alot of fun away from it.

I also just starting experimenting with some modern decks, I'm liking this format too. Really fun to build decks for.
Posted 16 October 2012 at 05:01

I dedicate 1 evening a week to playtesting legacy and I'm lucky enough to have one of our countries best players as a sparring partner. We have a gauntlet of the most popular decks in the format to pitch our preffered decks against. It's not about being origenal but about skill. He T8 4 out of the 5 times he competes because he stays sharp under stress (far better then I do) and plays real tight.
It's not so much about what you play but how you play it as 90% of the players in these tournaments we go to have T1 decks, we all fight with the same weapons and it all comes down to skill. A fact I'm reminded of each time he Top8's and I don't. Another aspect that makes it fun is that after a few years of playing competitivly I've come to know most of the regular players here in Belgium and the country seems a lot smaller, it's become like a big group of friends. Another reminder that good players win because it's always the same guys I see at the top.

As for our decks we choose them based on the current meta and what we predict will be good against most of the field, that and personal play style. Then over the course of months of playtesting and many tournaments we tweak the netdeck we play to our personal taste.

That's pretty much legacy for me and next to that I play commander which is the exact oppossite, it's about building and comming up with crazy plays. What I also enjoy is cube draft which is yet another play style that focusses on deck building. This gives me enough variation within the magic game to keep it interesting. If I would only play legacy like my friend does it would get boring.

As for Modern I don't enjoy it as much mostly because of a lack of experience playing the format and getting beaten because of it. That said it is a format where I feel there is still a lot of room to brew and perform well with a homebrew. That does make it appealing.

I'll keep you posted on my Loam build. I'll probably start a thread in the legacy section where I'll post my brew in progress. Feel free to participate once I do.
Posted 16 October 2012 at 08:20