Discussion Forum

Brewing Casual Loam with Seth

Hey guys

I'm making a casual multiplayer deck so I can join my old playgroup again. I choose 80 cards for more veriaty and less liniar play. Another factor is that these games in our group usually last quite long (few hours a game) and 60 card decks don't do so well.

I might however bring it down to 60 cards if I can tune it to a well working machine that can attack from various angles.

The deck has a few draw engines including Life from the Loam with Cycle lands (Tranquil Thicket), Intuition, Thirst for Knowledge, Sensei's Divining Top (with Trinket Mage package), Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas and the new Grisly Salvage.

It has a strong graveyard theme with Life from the Loam, Vengevine, Goblin Welder, Recurring Nightmare, Oversold Cemetery , Eternal Witness, Volrath's Stronghold and various ways to get stuff in the yard (Lothleth Troll, Loam, Intuition, Thirst for Knowledge, Grisly Salvage...)

I'm sure the mana base sucks at this time, it being a 4 color monster but I'll work on that.

My Lotleth plan is to either discard what I can ressurect or to pump him up real big by discarding and Loaming Dryad Arbor as a never ending pump.

the list

http://deckstats.net/deck-1540821-018e6a8917a7c330b5fd1b7a40282f38.html

The cards

4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
4 Goblin Welder
4 Lotleth Troll
3 Vengevine
4 Solemn Simulacrum
2 Eternal Witness
3 Trinket Mage

1 Spine of Ish Sah
1 Oblivion Stone
1 Sundering Titan
1 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Duplicant
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Nihil Spellbomb
1 Elixir of Immortality

1 Recurring Nightmare
1 Oversold Cemetery

4 Intuition
2 Thirst for Knowledge
4 Grisly Salvage
2 Green Sun's Zenith

3 Life from the Loam

2 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas

4 Tranquil Thicket
2 Dryad Arbor
2 Forest
1 Island
1 Mountain
1 Swamp
1 Great Furnace
1 Vault of Whispers
1 Seat of the Synod
1 Tree of Tales
3 Savage Lands
3 Crumbling Necropolis
1 Taiga
1 Tropical Island
1 Bayou
4 Wooded Foothills
1 Volrath's Stronghold
Posted 16 October 2012 at 09:22

Here is a 60 card version

http://deckstats.net/deck-1541153-59050cc1c8120ec17f08d7719a8f2c15.html

4 Sakura-Tribe Elder
4 Goblin Welder
3 Lotleth Troll
3 Vengevine
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Eternal Witness
2 Trinket Mage

1 Oblivion Stone
1 Sundering Titan
1 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Nihil Spellbomb
1 Elixir of Immortality

1 Recurring Nightmare

3 Intuition
1 Thirst for Knowledge
4 Grisly Salvage

3 Life from the Loam
1 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas

4 Tranquil Thicket
2 Dryad Arbor
1 Forest
1 Island
1 Mountain
1 Swamp
1 Great Furnace
1 Vault of Whispers
1 Seat of the Synod
1 Tree of Tales
1 Savage Lands
1 Taiga
1 Tropical Island
1 Bayou
4 Wooded Foothills
1 Volrath's Stronghold
Posted 16 October 2012 at 12:32

Wow, Vengevine and Lotleth Troll work sooo well together. I'm liking this deck so far. I can tell you're a fan of life of the loam for sure. Return to Ravnica seem to really super charge this deck
Posted 17 October 2012 at 05:31

Yeah I'm a fan of Loam, it's a toolbox card and I like me a good toolbox. As for this brew I think I can't decide on whether I want to make an artifact/welder deck or a loam deck.

At the moment I think I want to play Goblin Welder but welder just on his own doesn't make a deck, it's powerful but also an easy target and somewhat unreliable. Loam seems like a nice addition as it fills the yard with targets for welder and it can take back artifact land that has been sacked to welder.

Maybe I need to restrict the number of colors some more, go either :manab::manag::manar: or :manar::manau::manag:. I'll post some more builds, feel free to make suggestions or post a build of your own.
Posted 17 October 2012 at 07:19

how about this (trying to keep it casual and on a budget, I think only the Mox Diamond is expensive in this build)

http://deckstats.net/deck-1544007-9880cfe9d790aeb161d861245e997f25.html

4 Goblin Welder
2 Trinket Mage
1 Eternal Witness

1 Lightning Greaves
1 Sol Ring
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Elixir of Immortality
4 Mox Diamond

1 Wurmcoil Engine
1 Myr Battlesphere
1 Sundering Titan
1 Platinum Emperion

2 Seismic Assault
1 Lightning Rift

4 Faithless Looting
4 Life from the Loam
2 Devastating Dreams
3 Thirst for Knowledge

1 Volrath's Stronghold
4 Great Furnace
1 Tree of Tales
1 Seat of the Synod
4 Wooded Foothills
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Stomping Ground
1 Breeding Pool
1 Steam Vents
4 Forgotten Cave
1 Tranquil Thicket
1 Maze of Ith
1 stripmine
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Fire-Lit Thicket
Posted 17 October 2012 at 08:26

I really like this build you have right now. Andd I just thought about this, Add in Trash For Treasure. It's pretty much the sorcery version of goblin welder, pretty cheap to cast a well.

And since you you mostly care about you more impressive artifact creatures being in the graveyard, the mana color and cost shouldn't matter, inkwell leviathan might be a pretty good add for this.

Also I think Wild Guess would be absolutely perfect for this deck =p

I wish I had the cards to build and try this deck out myself, I'm really liking it!
Posted 20 October 2012 at 13:45

Trash for treasure seems really good, even as a one off in addition to the welders. thanks for the suggestion, I didn't know the card.

I'm not a fan of Wild Guess in these colors as you already have the vastly superions Faithless Looting (which is insane with life from the loam) and blue gives you plenty of options like intuition or even fact or fiction.
Posted 22 October 2012 at 11:18