Discussion Forum

Need help on my first deck!

So this is the first deck I've ever built! I just started playing 2 weeks ago and have been having so much fun. My deck is white and green and I really want it to be powerful. I've been trying to make it so I can get a lot of mana fast and then bring out stronger creatures. Right now I'm having a hard time trimming down my deck size. I'm at 72 cards and I know that's quite a few. I'm just not sure what to get rid of.

Any suggestions would be awesome.

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=402729

Thanks so much,
Rachel
Posted 06 November 2012 at 18:12

Rachel, I'm only about a year into the whole MTG thing, and I'm glad you're enjoying it so much. I looked at your deck, and what I'm seeing is that it isn't really focused or coordinated much. You have many, many "good" cards but only a few are really designed to work together very well. I suspect this is a typical tendency among new MTG'ers, because it does take awhile to see how cards and abilities work together (and to even know what the available library looks like).

Additionally, it looks like your deck is pretty heavy in a way that's not really needed. I suspect your deck will play much, much better once you've trimmed it down to the typical 60 card limit and focused the characteristics of your creatures and spells to work a bit better together.

For example, you've got tons of life gaining cards. Ok, that's nice and all, but do you really need all of them? What if you could replace most of them with killer scary cards that make your opponent have to think/worry as early as turn 2-3?

You also have cards that draw power from other sources, but not all draw from the same source. For example, Ghoultree gets cheaper as more and more creatures enter your graveyard. But you don't really have any cards that encourage either self-milling (putting your own creatures straight into your graveyard) or sacrifice. Not that that, alone, excludes the card from inclusion in the deck, but adding Splinterfright might help you two different ways.

So, for starters, I'd lose both the Blightsteel Colossus and the Akroma's Memorial. Crusader of Odric and Duskdale Wurm are probably also both not great fits (plus DW is pretty expensive). Invincible Hymn is probably not essential with this deck. Victory's Herald is spendy and doesn't have the cycling benefits that work with Suture Priest and Cloudshift.

I'd cut even deeper here and probably cut Pathbreaker Wurm, too.

I think this brings us to 61 cards. So now I'd cut both Titanic Growth cards and 2 of the Ranger's Path. Cut Crushing Vines, too. This leaves 56 cards from the original deck. Now I'd probably add 2 Splinterfright, 2 more Oblivion Rings and see how that looked and played. Now you've got some nice options as cards enter the battlefield, you've got some add'l power to draw from in your graveyard as the game moves forward, plus you're making Ghoultree that much cheaper.

I'm happy to hear what other more experienced MTG folks might say about your deck. Good luck, happy playing.

Cheers,

F2k
Posted 06 November 2012 at 20:07

I recently just got back into Magic after being out for six years, but your problem of cutting cards is something most deck makers struggle with. Every card seems good, and maybe every card has saved you or won a game for you, but you cannot take that into consideration. Your deck is scattered, like the person above me said. Try to focus on doing one or two things very well, instead of doing lots of this poorly. Since you have a ton of pump up cards, maybe play with cheaper creatures to get the most bang for your buck. You could take some of those out too, you have a lot of them as is.
Posted 12 November 2012 at 13:07