Discussion Forum

Jhoira of the ghitu

I've never seen this card until recently, jhoira of the ghito. Wow! talk about a powerhouse of a commander! i really want to make a edh deck with her now. When i get the money you better bet i'll be constructing a edh deck for this commander. fill it with nothing but shroud enchants, counterspells, returns, a few burns, and huge game winning creatures and spells to bank with your every 4 turns "sha-bam" effect because of jhoira.
Posted 07 November 2012 at 16:56

Jhoira is broken. You don't really need shroud, you just need mana and lots of draw spells. If you play her when you have 5 mana you have one guaranteed activation as you have priority and there's little that can stop her.

lets say you play (and this would be avarage)

T1 Mountain
T2 Island + Signet
T3 Mountain + Thran Dynamo
T4 Tidings + Reliquary Tower
T5 Island + Jhoira + suspend Time Stretch + suspend Kozilek Butcher of Truth + suspend Bogardan Hellkite

Also don't forget about Rift Elemental, he's the tits in this type of decks. Manipulating when these suspended spells go off is really nuts.
Posted 08 November 2012 at 08:17

...and then be prepared to get hated out every game before anything suspended resolves.
Posted 08 November 2012 at 10:58

[QUOTE=_Epsilon_]...and then be prepared to get hated out every game before anything suspended resolves.[/QUOTE]

idd, anyone with a suspended time stretch should obviously be killed ASAP :)
Posted 08 November 2012 at 11:53

You can bet i will build that commander deck, and haha and if you build the deck correctly you can prevent the hate long enough to overrun with her ability, I loooovvveeeee the idea of suspending time stretch. or even suspending omniscience. through in kozilek, ulamog, blightsteel, darksteel, maybe pathrazer.... maybe some leviathans, i'm excited to build it haha. With cards to stall out and protect like Mizzium Mortars, slagstorm, counterflux, cyclonic rift, ect... I think i could hold off the hate long enough. I think the deck could destroy in edh
Posted 08 November 2012 at 17:37

[QUOTE=Seth]

Also don't forget about Rift Elemental, he's the tits in this type of decks. Manipulating when these suspended spells go off is really nuts.[/QUOTE]

Rift elemental is another great add thanks, can't forget about timecrafting and fury charm too =p
Posted 08 November 2012 at 17:41

Hey Dude

So yesterday I dismantled my Edric, Spymaster of Trest deck as it's banned now in one on one and it was my only semi competitive 1vs1 brew. I decided to join you brewing a Jhoira deck. I've assembled my first version and I'll try to find the time to put something online as soon as I can.
Posted 12 November 2012 at 08:17

please do post your decklist for it when you can, I would like to see it, and get some ideas. I bet it'll be really fun to play.

You should also let me know how it plays against people when you get the chance, thanks man =p
Posted 12 November 2012 at 13:10

Jhoira of the Ghitu

Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
Frost Titan
Counterspell
Bribery
Paradox Haze
Sensei's divining top
Tidespout tyrant
Windfall
Future sight
Niv-mizzet, the firemind
Time stretch
Telling time
Desertion
Concentrate
Fury charm
Mind over matter (without really breaking it, I didn't want to go overboard)
Scroll rack
Gilded lotus
Coalition relic
Ponder
Mind stone
Foresee
Raven familiar
Myr battlesphere
Izzet charm
Evacuation
Valakut, the molten pinnacle
Kozilek, butcher of truth
Swiftfoot boots
Impulse
Tidings
Bogarden hellkite
Preordain
Blue sun's zenith
Fact or fiction
Solemn simulacrum
Time warp
Thought reflection
Timecrafting
Lightning greaves
Omniscience
Force of will
Mulldrifter
Deadeye navigator
Hinder
Arcanis the omnipotent
Grim monolith
Reforge the soul
Ulamog the infinite gyre
Faithless looting
Rift elemental
Tran dynamo
Izzet chronarch
Niv-mizzet, dracogenius
Memory jar
Consecrated sphinx
Mind unbound
Cyclonic rift
Sol ring
Mana drain

40 land (30 basic)

Some cards are a bid dodgy and will probably be cut eventually, I put in a few of those cards I have lying about but never play like though reflection and mind unbound.

Use a site like deck statistics if you want a better view of the cards. I just gave them in quickly on my Ipad.
Posted 12 November 2012 at 16:56

That's a pretty good lineup from what i saw, red and blue are a great mixture for draw and speed, which you seem to maximize pretty well.

Unless I somehow skipped them over I would think about

Blightsteel colossus
Darksteel colossus
wheel of fortune
gamble
diplomatic immunity

and haha funny but with suspend, worldfire would be a neat little add

and my bad if any of those are in your list, i looked through them all but i might have skipped a few over on accident.

I think those are some cards to seriously think about for in here, at least they crossed my mind...

Love how your line up has a bunch of extra turn spells, nice little touch especially with suspend.

You'll need to tell me how it plays out when you get to actually use it against someone.
Posted 13 November 2012 at 05:51

Like I said it's a first build, far from tuned.

non of the cards you suggested are in there

Blightsteel colossus : I might put it in, probably will, it's one of those cards I usually don't play in EDH because it's over the top but the same can be said for time stretch, Omniscience, Mana Drain, and the Eldrazi I have in my list...

Darksteel colossus : Either this one of Blightsteel, probably not both, To much big cards will bog down the deck.

wheel of fortune: Yes I wanted it but I only have 2 or so and they are already in use, that's why I play the reforge the soul instead.

gamble: wtf? Why would I play that. I want to win, not gamble :) I know it's a reasonably good tutor but only if you have lots of cards in your hand already and then it feels like win more. In a pinch it's pretty bad.

diplomatic immunity: I don't like it, it's good in Zur decks obviously but aside from that I rather use equipment for the purpose of giving shroud. All my opponent has to do is shoot down my target when I play immunity and I loose 2 cards for 1.
Posted 13 November 2012 at 08:15

Blightsteel is just too good to pass up for this kind of deck ya know? I can understand not wanting to have both blightsteel and darksteel in here though.

As for wheel of fortune, I absolutely love that card, i can see why it's restricted in vintage. That's why i was overjoyed when they printed reforge the soul, instantly put a few in one of my red decks, unfortunate it cost 5 if not miracle drawn, but i can deal with paying that much.

and haha i guess i'm partial to gamble, i like to take chances when playing, and a one drop tutor is very alluring for me. Gamble is used against me alot when i face dragonstorm decks, and generally works in their favor, although there has been a few "fuck!" moments when randomly discarding.

Diplomatic immunity is just another one of those cards like gamble i'm partial too haha Successfully put one on a platinum angel and the opponents have no field effect spells, it's pretty annoying.

Good call with jin gitaxias and niv in here tho, i see them being very effective and combo pretty well together
Posted 14 November 2012 at 05:37