Discussion Forum

User Profiles

I think it would be a nice addition to have a user profile page.

Knowing certain details about a person's play experience, card pool, budget, playstyles, play groups, etc can go a long way into making suggestions on a decklist and could start to foster more of a community feeling on the site.

Some random information about me as an example below:

[quote]I've been playing since Revised but took about a 10 year break after Nemesis til New Phyrexia. As far as card availability goes, I mostly acquire cards through trades. I'll usually attend a prerelease with my wife and get a fat pack of each set and then trade for anything I need which puts a cap on individual card values at around the same value of recent set chase rares ($15-30).

I primarily play EDH but have a pretty good understanding of what works in all the current formats.

I am a Johnny so I love complex card interactions rather than common one or two card Spike options.

I have a judge level knowledge of the game rules although I haven't bothered to take the Judge test since there's not much benefit to doing it for me.

I have two current playgroups. One is an EDH league at the LGS and another is just a casual group at a friend's house.

I don't like mass land destruction.
I don't like infinite turns.
I don't like combos that can be assembled with one or two cards (Hermit druid, mike and trike, teferi pool, etc)
I don't like individual cards that are so powerful they just end the game on the spot. (Insurrection, Enter the Infinite, Omniscience, Exsanguinate, etc)[/quote]

Knowing all this, you'd be less likely to suggest something like a Jace, the Mind Sculptor (outside budget) or an Exsanguinate (one card win) and instead base your comments and suggestions around information you know about me so they're more likely to be useful suggestions.
Posted 21 February 2013 at 10:15

I love this idea, I've been wanting to improve the user pages for AGES rather than it just being a list of your decks I just have issues with 1) know what to put on them and 2) what it all looks like. I love the idea of a user description based on their playing habits etc. We could even have a little questionnaire that actually helps a user fill in some generic parts of it.

Thanks for the suggestion, nice to know somebody agrees with me! :)
Posted 21 February 2013 at 18:12

[QUOTE=Gary]I love this idea, I've been wanting to improve the user pages for AGES rather than it just being a list of your decks I just have issues with 1) know what to put on them and 2) what it all looks like. I love the idea of a user description based on their playing habits etc. We could even have a little questionnaire that actually helps a user fill in some generic parts of it.

Thanks for the suggestion, nice to know somebody agrees with me! :)[/QUOTE]

That's a great idea :) Maybe it could be set up like the Deck Description and How to Play sections of the deck pages, except it will obviously be a user profile page.
Posted 21 February 2013 at 23:37

Excellent idea, I have a hard time knowing who to listen to sometimes :p I don't think it has to be front and center on the profile page. Maybe when you click a username it directs you to their list of decks as it is, and then there is also a tab for profile description. If you are taking the time to read through a profile, then an extra click shouldn't be too troublesome..
Posted 25 February 2013 at 04:14