Discussion Forum

First attempt with standard: Orzhov

I've always built either casual or modern decks, never tried standard but I'm gonna give it a try, let me know what your thoughts are on it.

What I'm thinking it's gonna be is something like this:

Creatures:
4- Blood Artist
4- Bloodthrone Vampire
4- Dutiful Thrull
4- Cartel Aristocrat
2- Bloodflow Connoisseur

Spells:
4- Dying Wish
4- Murder Investigation
2- Tragic Slip
4- Essence Harvest
3- Gather the Townsfolk
2- Faith's Shield
3- Lingering Souls

Land:
4- Godless Shrines
8- Plains
8- Swamp

Idea:
The idea behind this is to combo blood artist, bloodthrone vampire, dying wish, murder investigation, ect..... Build up my creature by sacing my others, sac himself to do one huge amount life loss or get a large amount of tokens which can be sac-ed again. Cartel Aristocrat is just the constant threat to have on the field, attacking every turn with protection.

Example of how I was hoping it might work:
Bloodthrone has dying wish on it, maybe murder investigation too, blood artist is out, he sacs 3 creatures pumps up to a 7/7 making the opponent lose 3 life, essence harvest for 7 more life, faiths shield for hopefully an unblockable attack for another 7 life, bloodthrone sacs himself making the opponent lose another 8 life and I get 7 1/1 tokens... If i have a cartel out or another creature that sacs creatures i can sac all my tokens for another 7 life....

That's kinda the idea i want to have going on, it seems pretty versatile as i don't have to use that combo to win, I can run with several different strategies depending on what my opponent has going on...

Any ideas? advice? suggestions?
Think it's a idea worth running with as my first standard deck i've tried to build ?

Let me know =p
Posted 02 March 2013 at 18:22

Btw I'm sorry the cards don't have links that pop the picture of each card up, I still haven't figured out how to do that.
Posted 02 March 2013 at 23:50

not a bad start :)

First off I'd go with 4 lingering souls instead of three. Its just such an effecient card, and effeciency is everything in standard. Maybe drop a dying wish or an essence harvest to make room.

You could actually take this two directions...one would be to keep it the way it is, maybe adding a one or two of cathars crusade to really abuse the influx of tokens from murder investigation. Geist honored monk is another surprisingly effective and underrated card in standard, 2 of could be a good idea. Also with so many tokens, intangible virtue is always a good option. Dutiful thrull is a little mediocre, if you need room he might be something to consider dropping.

The other direction would be to splash red for falkenrath aristocrat and boros reckoner, like the Aristocrats deck that has been popping up. There's a recent article about it on starcity if youre interested in that route.

Also, can we see a sideboard? :)
Posted 03 March 2013 at 07:11

Thanks for your input! and if at all possible I wanna try to keep it straight orzhov, but i agree with your putting 4 lingering souls in instead of three, good point =] I just thought dutiful thrull was a nice 1 drop for a constant attack threat with his 1 regenerate and easy fodder for bloodthrone. I've used cathars crusade in the past and although it wasnt a standard deck, it seems sort of slow with costing 5 mana but It might be different played in standard, not sure about that add tho.

I haven't gotten to play this deck yet or even built it, my booster box should be coming in in the next few days so the majority of what i need should be provided there, but do you think the bloodthrone dying wish/murder investigation combo is a viable use in standard,especially mixed with blood artist. i thought it would work very well but I really can't say for sure. Intangible virtue is something I will seriously consider, with the tokens I put out i can imagine it'd be useful in case my combo doesnt work out as I plan.

As for the side board let me think, maybe throw me some ideas... Without putting alot of thought into it i'll throw some ideas out there.

4- high priest of penance
2- glaring spotlight
3- blind obedience
3- oblivion ring
3- intangible virtue

Thanks for your suggestions and input, i appreciate it =p Keep them coming if you have any more.
Posted 03 March 2013 at 08:05

With regards to the thrull, doomed traveller would probably be better and offer more synergy. Block, sac in response, 2/2 flying vigilance :p good sideboard, I'm liking the priest and orings. You could use a few more removal spells, maybe devour flesh for the two sided capabilities.

Supreme verdict is going to be the death of you. Some discard elements like duress or appetite for brains against control to get rid of board wipes, removal, and revelation can ensure that you pull off the combo without interruption.

Not many people will be prepared for a deck with all that, everyone is too afraid of reckoner :p you should do pretty darn well, especially considering its your first standard deck. Good luck! :)
Posted 03 March 2013 at 14:17

[QUOTE=Gaspartacus]Supreme verdict is going to be the death of you. Some discard elements like duress or appetite for brains against control to get rid of board wipes, removal, and revelation can ensure that you pull off the combo without interruption[/QUOTE]

Yea i was thinking about what to do against supreme verdict, and my thoughts were either as you were stating appetite for brains or something a little more defensive field wise as in rootborn defenses. Haven't figured it out yet, but when i actually get this whole deck put together and get to play with it to test it I will most likely have a better idea of which direction to go.

And yea i noticed everyone is loving on that boros reckoner card, it'd a really good card but it doesn't scare me in the least, haha who said you have to attack to win =p and hopefully with this deck it won't matter losing a little life from being attacked by him, I should gain my life right back and more.

You might be right with doomed traveler, it'll give my bloodthrone and bloodflow 2 creatures to sac for 1. haha it's just unfortunate because I really liked the 1 drop regenerate, but as you stated doomed traveler is most likely more practical, especially for this deck.

I'm glad you like my idea, I thought it was pretty original, and that's part of the reason i didn't play standard much because I felt there was little room to be original, but I feel I got it here =p

Thanks for your help man
Posted 03 March 2013 at 14:56

Now I gotta figure out how to change things around without messing up the deck, what to take out if I were to add intangible virtue and/or duress... hmm
Posted 03 March 2013 at 15:01

I don't know if anyone's brought this up to you yet, but there are little magic the gathering card back buttons when you're typing a post. When you click them, the give you a [ CARD ] [ /CARD ] (without the spaces) tag that'll put the hovering pictures on your cards. alternatively you can type it out, so Verdant Haven would look like [ CARD ]Verdant Haven[ /CARD ] without the spaces.
Posted 05 March 2013 at 02:48

[QUOTE=NightLoki]I don't know if anyone's brought this up to you yet, but there are little magic the gathering card back buttons when you're typing a post. When you click them, the give you a [ CARD ] [ /CARD ] (without the spaces) tag that'll put the hovering pictures on your cards. alternatively you can type it out, so Verdant Haven would look like [ CARD ]Verdant Haven[ /CARD ] without the spaces.[/QUOTE]

I had not known that, thank you nightloki
Posted 05 March 2013 at 15:16

[QUOTE=Chewrida]I had not known that, thank you nightloki[/QUOTE]

No sweat Chewrida, anytime.
Posted 08 March 2013 at 00:50