Discussion Forum

Essence scatter, Syncopate and Unsummon

In a blue counter deck, what do you guys think is the best counter towards an aggro deck? Essence scatter and syncopate? Syncopate and unsummon? Unsummon and essence scatter? Please chose an anwser in the poll to help decide which is the best combo.
Posted 18 April 2013 at 16:38

Syncopate is bad vs aggro decks. Countering a 1-2 drop with an X spell is terribly inefficient. They'll let it be countered and just drop another 1-2 drop. Syncopate is better vs the bigger midrange/control decks.
Posted 19 April 2013 at 05:18

An aggro deck is packed with creatures, trading one for one as a control deck is already pretty bad as you're not advancing your position but trading 2 for one (unsommon + counter) means loosing almost every time. Basically you're running out of cards (solutions) faster then the aggro deck runs out of creatures. The fact is that wizards just doesn't like to print good counter spells in standard so as a counterspell based deck you're already at a disadvantage.

Even in legacy, a format that has access to almost every good counterspell ever printed (daze, force of will, spell pierce, counterspell, spell snare, counterbalance etc...) a permission deck has a really hard time defeating straight aggro. Goblins for instance is well known for crushing blue decks with relative ease and now with the recent printing of Cavern of Souls even daze and force of will are dead against them.

Mana leak, Rune Snag and Cryptic Command are the only good counters I can remember that were any good in standard in the last so many years. Standard with it's limited card set will automatically favor certain archetypes and make others totally unplayable (despite the fact that wizards will always include a few bad spells to cover certain archetypes like their 101 versions of Cancel).

PS: summon is only good against tokens and in a tempo build (= a deck that is really fast and where unsummon creates a time walk effect)
Posted 19 April 2013 at 07:17

thx guys, any ideas as to what i shoould add to my deck then f i were to take out the counters?
Posted 19 April 2013 at 13:25

if you need input post your deck dude
Posted 22 April 2013 at 09:02

http://www.mtgvault.com/ginthas/decks/standard-dimir/
Posted 22 April 2013 at 20:32

I would not play unsummon in your deck, it doen't create tempo and as a means of slowing your opponent down it just delays a bad situation but doesn't improve it in the long run. If it buys enough time to mill your opponent then it would be ok but I don't think it will have that kind of impact.

Can't you go 3 colors and play Supreme Verdict or something simular? (if there is anything simular in standard). That would go a long way towards turning around the game in your favor.

I like this Wight of Precinct Six, I didn't know about it but it looks like a very playable card (for Commander and multiplayer)
Posted 23 April 2013 at 07:01