Discussion Forum

Return of the Slivers

Wizards has now spoiled that Slivers are making a return in M14. That's right, Slivers are back.

Link: Sliver Spoiler

What do you make of this, and what are your reactions?
Posted 06 May 2013 at 22:53

I'm glad that they kinda need a deck based around them to function. At least they wont find their way into naya blitz, that deck has enough goodies. Hopefully this means more tribal for the rest of the core set too...I want a good simic elves deck bad
Posted 07 May 2013 at 01:05

I like the idea of them returning... I hate that they made them humanoid and made them only impact your own slivers.

They're going a bit too far stupid-proofing the game with all the "all upside" effects of late. Having to worry about an opposing sliver gaining benefits of yours was a real threat that you'd have to consider before. Now it's just pure value.

I'm assuming they'll be printing a new sliver legend to go along with all the others. That could be exciting.
Posted 07 May 2013 at 06:29

I like the idea of slivers returning as well, slivers have always been fun and everything that interacts with old stuff is in my opinion interesting and good for the game. I do agree with Espilon that it's just stupid to take away the downside of slivers. Not that slivers are to strong, these days every mono colored tribe is stronger then slivers ever were but these one sided Lord effects take away some of the charm.

I would like to see another tribal based block like Lorwyn, and if slivers are one of the tribes that would be intersting.
Posted 07 May 2013 at 07:27

I'm looking forward to the return of the Slivers, they are one of my favourite aspects of the game. The new templating does seem to be a 'stupid-proofing' measure to save new players from having to make tough decisions or worry about the mirror match though.

With M14 I'm hoping to see a bit of tribal creeping in, although the Slivers really need at least 2 in each colour for them to be a viable option and to keep with their theme, unless they're just a primer for them to return in Theros?
Posted 09 May 2013 at 18:19

I'll second the guess that since Slivers are coming back, that we're going to get a more tribal heavy core set, which I am stoked about. It's been awhile since we've seen some of the more "traditional" tribes being highlighted well--elves have gotten a few new toys, and a lot of the few goblins we've gotten are shining well (Loyalist, Pyrewild, and the crank-man Krenko), but I'm hoping for a strong "traditional" tribal theme throughout the core set (Elves/Beasts for green, goblins/beasts/warriors(?) for red, soldiers/clerics/kithkin for white, wizards/merfolk for blue, and zombies/vampires for black, though those were both featured heavily in INN. I'm expecting, based on what we know of Theros, for it to be relatively similar to INN in that we will have little to no elves/goblins/etc, so them using this core set to whet the appetites of those of us who've been eating up these tribes since the beginning would be a solid move, in my opinion.
Posted 11 May 2013 at 16:06

Well I do hate seeing slivers are possibly coming back, but I do hope for a wider range of tribal spells. Personally I would like to see some kind of dragon, zombie, and maybe another random creature type being made tribal. Idk, I just think it would be kool. Stinkin slivers... >.<

http://cardgametalk.wordpress.com/
Posted 11 May 2013 at 20:58

I highly doubt slivers indicate a greater tribal role, since tribal heavy sets (like lorwyn and friends) tend to have one tribe per color or 2 colors (slivers are 3-5). Also, slivers where never printed in tribal heavy sets (save legions with birds and such). Also, i doubt they could print a heavy soldier tribal with humans from INN RTR still in there. Theros may be the one to bring tribals.
Posted 11 May 2013 at 22:42

New spoilers indicate a beast-ish tribal for green. I retract my previous statement.
Posted 12 May 2013 at 16:41

[QUOTE=heliosofcows]I highly doubt slivers indicate a greater tribal role, since tribal heavy sets (like lorwyn and friends) tend to have one tribe per color or 2 colors (slivers are 3-5). Also, slivers where never printed in tribal heavy sets (save legions with birds and such). Also, i doubt they could print a heavy soldier tribal with humans from INN RTR still in there. Theros may be the one to bring tribals.[/QUOTE]

They did it with allies, allies covered all colors

[QUOTE=demonking28;38022]Well I do hate seeing slivers are possibly coming back, but I do hope for a wider range of tribal spells. Personally I would like to see some kind of dragon, zombie, and maybe another random creature type being made tribal. Idk, I just think it would be kool. Stinkin slivers... >.<

http://cardgametalk.wordpress.com/[/QUOTE]

Making a random creature a tribe is a great way of making sure all the cards they print will never be played again once they rotate. Magic is fun when it interacts with older cards. Besides the days of slivers being any good have long past, they would have to go power crazy to put them back in the game (on a competitive level) which is not the way of core sets. Slivers are just a cute casual tribe that always has been great fun for new players. Bringing them back will be fun for many people.
Posted 13 May 2013 at 07:32

But that wasn't a heavily tribal-ey theme set. None the less, if the recent spoilers are any indication, there will be a tribal theme in this set.
Posted 13 May 2013 at 18:13

I like it there are in my group of EDH players, 3 sliver decks, the new ones could strenghen their decks adding to a better magic playing.
Posted 26 May 2013 at 09:48