Discussion Forum

Upcoming M14 Rules Changes

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/248e

Some Major Rules changes are coming up with M14.

I'm not 100% sure how I feel about them yet... Particularly the legend rule.

The Legend/walker rules change is huge and kills the flavor significantly IMO. As my friend put it, "the idea of Gandalf fighting Gandalf is absurd." There should be only one. It also has HUGE ramifications in EDH and legacy with a lesser effect in other formats.

The keyword changes don't really change much.

The land change I actually like. It puts a stop to Azusa/Curio shenanegans and makes killing Azusa/Oracle/Exploration in response to some land search or draw a much more powerful play. It's also easier to understand vs the current ruling.
Posted 23 May 2013 at 06:22

I hate rule changes, pisses me off

The new legend rule fucks EDH players right up the ****, they just raped clone effects and made already powerful legends in combo with shroud and or indestructible broken. It has a slight impact on legacy as well but not near as devestating (mainly Vendilion Clique wars are going to be different and you can't kill Emrakul, Griselbrand, Progentius with Phantasmal Image anymore). I don't get why they feel like they should simplify (read kill) tactical exploids like damage on the stack and now this just to simplify the game. Are 12 year olds really their targeted audiance? Why can't they accept that magic is a tactical game and not dungeons and dragons with cards.

The sideboard card count rule change is a VERY GOOD CHANGE, these kind of changes make sense, they make tournaments more enjoyable and run more smoothly. Game losses for sideboard issues are stupid, they finally did something about it.

The introduction of the indestructible keyword makes sense is is good for the game because that really was confusing.

I must confess that the stuff about lands becomes how I thought it already was, I guess land shenanegans as described just never came up in my games.

...but man that legendary shit is going to impact Commander in such an aweful way...
Posted 23 May 2013 at 08:02

I do understand that the game has to evolve to stay relevant but the legendary change just confuses me. The rule is very obvious and common sense and they're completely throwing it out the window for no apparent reason.

I get that they want to get away from global effects for the most part (like lords or slivers buffing all of a tribe) since it's a pain to keep track of everything, especially if you aren't the one playing it but honestly, legends are the easiest things to track since there's only one in play max and it's real easy to check if someone else has one or not.

It seriously is a slap in the face for the more thematic and vorthos players. These epic heroes that have memorable names and effects and have earned the status of legend can potentially face themselves in battle as long as they aren't working together? When Bill and Ted go back in time to meet themselves, it's to help eachother, not fight eachother. It makes absolutely no sense. Rules changes are supposed to make the game easier to learn and follow, not more confusing.
Posted 23 May 2013 at 09:43

Yeah it makes sense that no 2 creatures on the field should be the same creature, creature cards with specific names of individuals usually are legends (can't think of one that is not) so this doesn't happen. Maybe cloning a legend and having it die because of it didn't make much sense in that aspect but at least it was clear.

When they killed damage on the stack their motivation was that it didn't make sense in terms of realism. How can something that isn't even on the battlefield deal damage to something that is, new players don't understand it. Ok fine, I get that, it was a rule that had only strategic gameplay value and didn't make any sense outside of that pure mechanical fact. Sounds to me like they are doing the exact opposite now. They introduce something that is purly a rule but makes no sense when you think in terms of realism and story/background.
Posted 23 May 2013 at 10:33

I think the only saving grace is that it allows the Grandeur cycle of legends to be fully utilized in EDH. I would totally build a Korlash deck or maybe try one of the others.
Posted 23 May 2013 at 11:29

I don't get it, how does Grandeur work in Singleton?
Posted 23 May 2013 at 11:39

[QUOTE=Seth]I don't get it, how does Grandeur work in Singleton?[/QUOTE]

You have to clone the card, keep the clone, get it back to your hand and then discard it. Lots of hoops but totally worth it...
Posted 23 May 2013 at 12:09

Yeah that might actually not be that difficult. Play Korlash, play a clone of some sort and choose the real Korlash as the one going to the yard and then use a card to start abusing the Grandeur effect like Lord of the Undead, Tortured Existence, Oversold Cemetery, Phyrexian Reclamation...

hmmm...potential :)

Oriss, Samite Guardian lock in EDH lol, even Linessa, Zephyr Mage is pretty good
Posted 23 May 2013 at 12:25

Cradle will be 3x in elves now. 2 activations in one turn without a rotation.
Posted 23 May 2013 at 15:20

I'm actually happy about all the changes except the legend rule, which is just asinine. I know for a fact my local store will only abide to that dumb rule during tourneys...and we sure won't like it :mad:
Posted 23 May 2013 at 22:04

Gandalf Shouldn't Have To Fight Gandalf!!!!!!!!
Posted 23 May 2013 at 23:18

That legend rule doesn't make sense flavorwise IMO, but that's definitely going to make Thrun, the Last Troll and Geist of Saint Traft a lot better, since cloning is like the only way to kill those.
Posted 24 May 2013 at 01:27

[QUOTE=Seth]Yeah that might actually not be that difficult. Play Korlash, play a clone of some sort and choose the real Korlash as the one going to the yard and then use a card to start abusing the Grandeur effect like Lord of the Undead, Tortured Existence, Oversold Cemetery, Phyrexian Reclamation...

hmmm...potential :)

Oriss, Samite Guardian lock in EDH lol, even Linessa, Zephyr Mage is pretty good[/QUOTE]

Yup... I already started piecing together an esper deck around all three of them. Will be totally awesome.
Posted 24 May 2013 at 04:24

[QUOTE=heliosofcows]Cradle will be 3x in elves now. 2 activations in one turn without a rotation.[/QUOTE]

The only reason I play 2xCradle in Elves is because I only own 2xCradle. I've always felt 3 would be better even without the new rules, the new rule like you say make 3 or even 4 Cradle a no brainer. But they are just way to overprised at the moment.
Posted 24 May 2013 at 06:51

[QUOTE=racky54]That legend rule doesn't make sense flavorwise IMO, but that's definitely going to make Thrun, the Last Troll and Geist of Saint Traft a lot better, since cloning is like the only way to kill those.[/QUOTE]

In legacy they are more likely to get killed by an edict effect then a clone but yes, we're running low on answers against the big guns
Posted 24 May 2013 at 06:54

[QUOTE=_Epsilon_]Yup... I already started piecing together an esper deck around all three of them. Will be totally awesome.[/QUOTE]

Funny enough... I sent the list I made in to Dear Azami on scg on Friday and it's already the article for this week.
Posted 28 May 2013 at 08:11

awesome man :)
Posted 28 May 2013 at 08:23

Unfortunately, the Legend rule change actually applies to the flavor of Magic: The Gathering than one realizes. In terms of story and and bringing creatures into being, you create a image or clone of them out of Mana. NOT Summoning the ACTUAL Gerrard Capshen, only an interpretation of him. That is why more than one can appear.

Also, in terms of the Legend Rule otherwise - yes it is stupid. It makes me feel like the game is being dumbed down, but flavor wise it makes sense.
Posted 05 June 2013 at 17:12