Discussion Forum

Report Button for the vault

Hey all,

I may be an idiot and I've just missed it, but we could really use some sort of way of tipping off the moderators out in the deck sections. I've noticed a few examples of trolling behavior out there such as
[quote]T\DAT IS MAYBI THE MOST HOMOSEXUAL TING I HEARD FROM A HOMO IS A BREAKFEST BUFFET YOU SALD TOSSING DOODOOWEENIE MAN[/quote]
Whether or not he's being "ironic", he's an idiot and it's a pain to read. Some way of letting the mods know about this would be a big help.

Muffin
Posted 30 May 2013 at 14:29

Thanks for pointing this fella out. You guys have done exactly the right thing in downvoting his comments. Hopefully we'll have the code in soon to hide the downvoted comments by default, so you don't have to see the bad comments, but can expand if you want to see it, or downvote more!

We can easily pull off all the data for guys who have negative voted comments, so we can keep an eye on it ourselves (granted we haven't !).

Cheers

Ian
Posted 31 May 2013 at 10:20

Yeah...that same dude (carmal55) is going crazy right now posting complete all caps nonsense.

http://www.mtgvault.com/thebigolburr/decks/trolololol/

For example^
Posted 31 May 2013 at 15:07

Added in a temporary fix for now. :)
Posted 31 May 2013 at 21:41

[QUOTE=Ian]Added in a temporary fix for now. :)[/QUOTE]

I actually really like this fix. :D

Also, have you guys ever considered moderators for the Vault much like you have here?
Posted 01 June 2013 at 02:35

you should have an isolation feature for moderators, disabling the account of an offender doesn't always have the desired effect as they can simply make a new account. If you could flag a user as being isolated you could show users

- all their own threads/replies
- all other threads/replies of non isolated users

(moderators could monitor isolated users and see their threads to see if their behavior changes)

this way a user doesn't know he is isolated, others don't see his posts but he does. That way it will just appear like people ignore him completely taking a way the attention he craves and he will leave.
Posted 03 June 2013 at 08:31

I like that idea Seth! :)
Posted 03 June 2013 at 14:59

I thought you guys liked me......

I am of course, THE master of you all.
Posted 03 June 2013 at 15:03

[QUOTE=Seth]you should have an isolation feature for moderators, disabling the account of an offender doesn't always have the desired effect as they can simply make a new account. If you could flag a user as being isolated you could show users

(moderators could monitor isolated users and see their threads to see if their behavior changes)

this way a user doesn't know he is isolated, others don't see his posts but he does. That way it will just appear like people ignore him completely taking a way the attention he craves and he will leave.[/QUOTE]

On top of this, I think an "Ignore user" feature would be nice. Much like Seth's idea, it would let the ignored person yammer on and on while you have nothing to be annoyed by =]
Posted 03 June 2013 at 22:04

[QUOTE=Seth]you should have an isolation feature for moderators, disabling the account of an offender doesn't always have the desired effect as they can simply make a new account. If you could flag a user as being isolated you could show users

this way a user doesn't know he is isolated, others don't see his posts but he does. That way it will just appear like people ignore him completely taking a way the attention he craves and he will leave.[/QUOTE]

I quite like this idea.

Any large media site, such as this, does well to have some moderators to...well, moderate. Your downvote exile fix is only 'okay'. It takes care of the occasional malicious comment, but when a troll is spamming every manner of senseless bile and gibberish, or when a full on flame war breaks out, downvoting every comment is a wasteful exercise in tedium.

With a set of moderators, any troll's spam, argumentative scuffle, or any other form of the internet rearing its ugly head can be swiftly dealt with in any manner of ways. Moderators could, as Seth suggested, isolate users or simply a post or two of a user. They could 'time out' a user for a set period of time, to give them time to calm down. Even a simple 'warning' could prove a useful deterrent to hotheads and ruffians alike.
Posted 06 June 2013 at 03:12

I like all these ideas! We're just restructuring some stuff more on the architecture side atm, but then we can get back onto some decent projects like this.

I've always liked the old forum style level x posts = custom title display, so maybe we can spruce that up a bit as well. (i.e more rep = more stars or whatever :p).

Ian
Posted 07 June 2013 at 22:36

I support a report function as well, and I think it should include deckspamming the publick decklist, something going on right now.

I use the Deckbuilder primarily for a catalog of the decks I have built, or would like to build, and infrequently request advice, however I know that a lot of people use the site for just that - Advice, so I like to help out where I can. when people are on there posting 20 decks because theyre bored, filling the front page up with their (bad) decks, it makes it difficult to differenciate between who wasnt help and who is just showing off.

maybe a public publish daily limit?
Posted 28 June 2013 at 17:18