Discussion Forum

Werewolfs

Hi.

My boyfriends birthday is coming up, and I know how much he loves werewolfs. I'm new to MTG, so I don't know were or how to look for a werewolf deck. I found one, but i had to put it together myself and the price was a bit high.

So if anyone knows of a deck like this, i would love to know. Thank you :)
Posted 16 July 2013 at 12:09

Werewolves are a rather new tribe and fairly small. Most of them are from the Innistrad block with a few old exceptions that don't really do anything. The "best" werewolf is Huntmaster of the Fells which happens to be about a $10 card currently due to some heavy standard play. If a playset of that puts it out of budget, you may just need to wait ~3 months til the Innistrad block rotates out of standard which will cause the price of a wolf deck to drop considerably.

All the other wolves are super cheap. The rest of the deck that would be costly is the mana base. If you can't afford checklands and shocklands, you can get by with basics with not much issue so the real issue is the playset of Huntmasters.

As far as a decklist goes, you should be able to find quite a few on this site or just piece one together yourself by searching "werewolf" in the creature type and then throwing in some related spells as needed. It will be a rather casual deck though as most the wolves aren't too impressive.
Posted 16 July 2013 at 12:25

Thank you so much, but do you know of any starter decks?
Posted 16 July 2013 at 14:13

Jacob Van Lunen writes an article: Building on a Budget for Wizards and he had an article on werewolves with a decklist

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/boab/166

maybe you can look into buying that one, his decks are usually pretty good
Posted 16 July 2013 at 14:36

Unfortunately there aren't any werewolf starter decks. Wizards didn't want to put any double sided cards in intro packs so a preconstructed werewolf deck was never made. However, if you go to your local card shop/comic shop/gaming store you should be able to look through binders of cards from specific sets. Check out innistrad and dark ascension, everything that you need should be in there. Each card should be a dollar max, and the full deck can be built for about $20. Huntmaster of the fells is nice, but not really a necessity. Immerwolf, instigator gang, kruin outlaw, reckless waif, moonmist, and mayor of avabruck are really the only "must have" cards for this deck. I hope this helped, good luck!
Posted 16 July 2013 at 15:06