Discussion Forum

New to Magic Help Appreciated

Hello everyone!

As I said in the title I am new to MTG. I have been playing Duels of the planes walker on my ipad and love it. I have decided to begin playing with physical cards. I am planning on buying an intro deck from target because it seems to be a good place to start. However, I am unsure which to buy and was hoping someone could help me. Any advice on starting to play magic would be greatly appreciated and if there is a better pack or something to start with I would appreciate the input. My apologies if this has been posted before or if I placed this post in the wrong spot. Thank you in advance for any help.

- Aenlan
Posted 18 July 2013 at 02:04

Starter decks are a good place to start so you can see the basic structure of a deck. But really after that the type of deck is up to you, i recommend after you buy a starter deck to get a deck builder box, it comes with 4 boosters, 100 land, and 200 or so random cards to get you startef on making your own deck, use whatever starter deck you buy as a basis, and the box will let you build from there, or just make a completely new one. The box also come with suggestions on how to build decks. Once you build a deck or start to, tell people what you have built or wanna build on this forum if you need help and someone will probably help you out and give you some advice and suggestions.

Btw the deck builder box is usually only like 20 bucks so its not a bad deal at all for getting started.
Posted 18 July 2013 at 02:14

Chewrida

Thank you so much for the quick reply and advice. I will definitely buy a deck builder box once I pick out an intro pack. I love how beginner friendly this game seems to be and am excited to learn more and get into it! Once again thank you!

- Aenlan
Posted 18 July 2013 at 05:22

I don't know if they are still available but Those Duel Decks (usually 2 decks with a planeswalker in each) are a great place to start. They are usually well balanced for play against eachother and that's a rare thing when you're starting out.
Posted 18 July 2013 at 07:24

Yep they still exist:

Sorin vs Tibalt is the latest one :)

Either that, or the Event Decks are reasonably good and act as a good base to start with, imo.

Ian
Posted 18 July 2013 at 08:38

the Duel Decks: Elspeth vs. Tezzeret was very good but probably sold out everywhere
Posted 18 July 2013 at 09:00

Thank you all so much for the help and advice. I just ordered a deck builder box from amazon and am looking forward to building my first deck. Thanks again for all the help!!
Posted 20 July 2013 at 01:59

Well i wanna say first of all welcome to Magic!!!!!!!!!!

now, for the deck u wanna build, like the others have said there exists tons of different builds u can do. me, im a red mage. i love burn decks and aggressive decks. also like the other have said,a deck builders tool kit will give u plenty of ideas and cards to make ur own goodies. like Chew mentioned, if u do finally make a deck then u should share here somewhere for everyone to see and maybe even help out.

i have two blogs that might help u out. one is more of a commander blog, and the other has a list of different deck types out there. hope they help ya.

Commander blog ->http://cardgametalk.blogspot.com/

Different Deck type blog-> http://cardgametalk.wordpress.com/
Posted 22 July 2013 at 02:37

Thank you very much for the help and advice. I will definitely check out your blog.s
Posted 23 July 2013 at 04:51

glade to help ya out. kool i look forward to hearing more about ur experiences in magic. any other help u lookin for?

http://cardgametalk.blogspot.com/
Posted 25 July 2013 at 02:52