Discussion Forum

Did everyone forget about Madness?

My favorite casual deck is Madness + Vampires. A great combination in my opinion. Is there anyone else that sees this mechanic to be as effective as I do? Check out my deck and then give me your opinion. http://www.mtgvault.com/walkingdead/decks/vampiric-madness/
Posted 23 July 2013 at 01:08

Get rid of the spellbook... It does absolutely nothing for you since there's not enough draw for you to ever really get above 7 cards in hand short of a big necrologia which isn't that useful. Even drawing 20 cards off that you can still easily cut it down to the best 7.

The deck also wants to be able to discard so giving yourself no max hand size is counter productive.
Posted 23 July 2013 at 04:53

Good point. Maybe I should exchange the spellbook for another diabolic tutor?
Posted 23 July 2013 at 06:39

You have 6 cards that let you discard cards and 3 of them require you to have a creature in your graveyard, it's not exactly abusing the madness mechanic.

When I think Madness I think powerfull enablers like Lotleth Troll and Wild Mongrel. And as best madness creatures Basking Rootwalla and Big Game Hunter (which I saw you have).

Since you need discard enablers you have a good synergy with reanimation strategy so might as well mix the two.

As for vampires, Turn 1 Dark Ritual into buried alive get 3 Bloodghast in your graveyard. T2 play land reanimate 3 Bloodghast isn't bad either :) Not to mention Skullclamping them :)
Posted 23 July 2013 at 07:54

I actually have 8 cards that allow discarding, counting Skyshroud Vampire and Lilliana, although these are helpful only later in the game. The Dark Ritual, Buried Alive, Bloodghast combo has a lot of potential. As for the other madness cards, I really want to keep the deck mono. Know of any other good black madness cards?
Posted 23 July 2013 at 12:57

madness is a great mechanic but not many good madness cards were printed. I hope they bring it back one day and print new cards.

One of the cards I play in pauper mono black sometimes is Ichor Slick. It's pretty good if you plan on playing a long game.

Another good mono black enabler is Tortured Existence, it's a little beauty that not many poeple know about, it's very abusable.
Posted 23 July 2013 at 13:11

I'd have to say, that even looks a little better than undertaker.
Posted 05 August 2013 at 07:57