Discussion Forum

New player looking for some deck advice

Hello! As I said above I am a new player and would like some advice on the deck I have created. My card collection consists of the 2014 deck builders box and 3 extra boosters I bought. The deck I created is a blue - green deck based around quicker mana gain to get my stronger creatures out. Thanks for any help you can provide! Am hoping it's good enough to attend Friday Night Magic at my local card store and maybe win a match or two.

2x Transguild Promenade (I have 2 more)
10x Islands
11x Forests

1x Skyline Predator
1x Messenger Drake
1x Wall of Frost
1x Wind Drake
1x Seacoast Drake
1x Faerie Impostor
1x Murmuring Phantasm
2x Elvish Mystic
1x Mystic Swimmer
1x Deadly Recluse
1x Kraul Warrior
2x Axebane Guardian
1x Advocate of the Beast
1x Mwonvuli Beast Tracker
1x Wild Beastmaster
1x Briarback Alpha
1x Rumbling Baloth
2x Axebane Stag
1x Woodborn Behemoth

1x Opportunity
2x Divination
1x Domestication
1x Disperse
1x Spell Rupture
1x Frost Breath
1x Cancel
1x Burst of Strength
1x Giant Growth
1x Naturalize
1x Verdant Haven
1x Seek the Horizon
1x Hunt the Weak
1x Urban Evolution
Posted 24 July 2013 at 01:14

You have a pretty nice set of cards, but the one thing you might have trouble with is consistency. Typically, standard decks will run 3-4 copies of each card to make the deck work as consistently as possible. My suggestion for improving this deck would be find the cards that are most important, add multiple copies of those, and trim the excess. I don't mean to discourage at all, but a deck that runs only one copy of an essential card isn't going to perform as well as a deck with a full playset. If you'd like I can post what I would do with the cards that you have, but if you'd rather do it your own way, just try to cut the bad or unnecessary cards and capitalize on the important stuff. :)
Posted 24 July 2013 at 01:59

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I would love your advice on what cards I should use as I'm sure I would have trouble cutting down. I have been doing online research for a couple days and noticed many decks kept to essentials and figured that would be an issue for me until I expanded my collection.
Posted 24 July 2013 at 02:17

Well you mentioned that your game plan was ramp into big creatures. Elvish mystic should definitely stay, and I would use 4. Other good ramp spells are arbor elf, farseek, and manaweft sliver. All of these would help you out but I wouldn't use more than 10 ramp spells. Then I would suggest a few early creatures. Renegade Krasis is an excellent budget option (he's less than $1, you might even be able to get all 4 for $3) and will really help add power to the board and provide tons of value late game. After him, you want a few 4 drops that will evolve him. Rumbling baloth is good enough for a budget deck, I would use 4 of him. For the more expensive creatures, you either want something that impacts immediately or has some sort of evasion. Nimbus swimmer is decent, three of should be fine. Wolfir silverheart is exactly what you want though. He is down to $2 and will immediately make your board terrifying. Try to find at least 2 of him to use here, he is excellent. Other cards that stood out that I would keep are briarpack alpha (3 copies) hunt the weak (2-3) urban evolution (2-3)

Other cards to strongly consider:
Experiment one - excellent one drop that grows and survives kill spells
Cloudfin raptor - another excellent turn 1 that is hard to block
Vorel of the hull clade - makes everything with a +1 counter a threat
Simic charm - protects and pumps your creatures when you need it to
Master Biomancer - a bit expensive, but he's my favorite card and since you're in his colors I had to recommend :P

I hope this helped you, good luck!
Posted 24 July 2013 at 02:39

Also, in the future feel free to PM me for any other advice or with other deck lists, I've been playing for 5 years so you can trust that I know what I'm talking about :p or at least I think I do...
Posted 24 July 2013 at 02:46

Well Gaspartacus has pretty much taken control here lol. i must say i agree with pretty much everything that was suggested. the hard part is getting ur collection to grow. one deck type i suggest to new players is a straight forward green deck. its a deck my lil brother used when we started and it was hard to take down back in the day lol. just something to think about while u try to get the other pieces suggested together.

a rough layout for a pretty cheap but tough green deck could be something like this:

4 Elvish Mystic
4 Experiment One
4 Manaweft Sliver
4 Renegade Krasis
4 Wolfir Silverheart
4 Kalonian Tusker
2 Elderscale Wurm
4 Rancor
4 Giant Growth
3 Fog
3 Blessings of Nature
20 forest