Discussion Forum

Helping somebody out with Magic

I'm trying to teach somebody Magic. What decks should I use to teach him? I need one that has a good variety of card types (i.e creatures, sorceries, etc) and easy to pick up.
Posted 26 July 2013 at 01:24

Best thing to teach somebody with in my opinion is the duels of the planeswalkers video game. It has a variety of decks, a tutorial that teaches how to play, and it is accessible by anybody with a steam, xbox live, or psn account. Well worth the $10. Also, if you buy the newest version you can redeem a code provided with the game for a free foil alternate art promo card; something for him and something for you.
Posted 26 July 2013 at 02:02

Can't you just build a deck that has all that?

I have this fun little old school brew I still love to play and it's super cheap but offers a lot in terms of control, card veriaty, interacting with your opponent and slowly chipping away at his life total.

From the top of my head it plays

- Man-o-War
- Sedraxis Alchemist
- Parasitic Strix
- Cavern Harpy
- Mulldrifter

- Mana Leak
- Rune Snag
- Diabolic Edict and bunch of other 1 or 2 mana instant speed removal like Last Gasp, Go for the Throat...

land base is simple islands and swamps and a set of terramorphic expanse

Anyway like you can see it counters what it needs to counter, kills what it needs to kill while building up a mana base and then takes over with small creatures with come in play abilities that can bounce stuff while beating the crap out of your opponent. It's pretty strong for a pauper deck and if the guy you're teaching is a pretty smart fellow he'll learn a lot about magic real fast. More then he would playing stupid tribal decks that just turn creatures sideways.
Posted 26 July 2013 at 07:13

[QUOTE=Seth]Can't you just build a deck that has all that?

I have this fun little old school brew I still love to play and it's super cheap but offers a lot in terms of control, card veriaty, interacting with your opponent and slowly chipping away at his life total.

From the top of my head it plays

- Man-o-War
- Sedraxis Alchemist
- Parasitic Strix
- Cavern Harpy
- Mulldrifter

- Mana Leak
- Rune Snag
- Diabolic Edict and bunch of other 1 or 2 mana instant speed removal like Last Gasp, Go for the Throat...

land base is simple islands and swamps and a set of terramorphic expanse

Anyway like you can see it counters what it needs to counter, kills what it needs to kill while building up a mana base and then takes over with small creatures with come in play abilities that can bounce stuff while beating the crap out of your opponent. It's pretty strong for a pauper deck and if the guy you're teaching is a pretty smart fellow he'll learn a lot about magic real fast. More then he would playing stupid tribal decks that just turn creatures sideways.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. This seems like a great idea. I'll go ahead and try and and build a deck based off this.
Posted 29 July 2013 at 23:05