Discussion Forum

Need a Land-Stealing Card

So I just started playing MTG again after a 17 year or so hiatus. I have one friend with whom I play almost every single game. He has almost 20 years of gameplay under his belt. I win maybe 1 out of every 8 games with him. At this point I derive more entertainment from annoying and frustrating him than actually beating him.

I dug deep and found an old Ice Age artifact:

Zuran Orb
Zero casting cost
{0}: Sacrifice a land to gain 2 life.

I would like a permanent (preferrably colorless) that transfers control of my opponent's land (or permanent) to me so that I may sacrifice them for life. Preferably in a manner that does not require me to sacrifice the granting card.

I suppose in a pinch I could use Memnarch:

{1}{U}{U}: Target permanent becomes an artifact in addition to its other types. (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.) {3}{U}: Gain control of target artifact. (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)

But I'd prefer something a bit more elegant.

Muchos nachos, guys!
Posted 27 July 2013 at 07:40

there's just not much that steals land man and the spells that do are very expensive (mana wise)

- Ajani Vengeant is a powerful way to go if you want to put your opponent on a clock while controlling him, tapping his land and such.

- winter orb and stasis are always annoying. Stasis can be cheated with Vedalken Mastermind

- Gilt-Leaf Archdruid is a card that can steal all your opponents land and it can be cheated with for instance Mirror Entity that can make all your dudes druids. For instance the game has been dragging on for a while and you have a healthy graveyard, you play Living Death returning Gilt-Leaf Archdruid and Mirror Entity and a bunch of other random dudes, tap them all and take your opponents land.
You can also go tokens with Mirror Entity and Gilt-Leaf Archdruid.

- Smokestack is also a great way to go when you want to lock your opponent out. With Sundial of the Infinite you can end your turn with the smokestack trigger on the stack so you don't sacrifice anything and you keep that up until your opponent has no permanents left.
Posted 27 July 2013 at 11:27