Discussion Forum

Whats up with Elixir of Immortality

Almost every deck on this site has atleast one. Why do people like that card so much?
Posted 29 July 2013 at 12:49

It's probably just a phase, poeple that copy stuff from eachother without a real reason. I've seen people claim to run Elixir of Immortality so they can reuse their played spells :)

It's not that it's a bad card, I actually like it but I don't think many of those who play it need to play it or have much reason to play it. I've seen people put it to good use in very long EDH multiplayer games but on this site, I've never seen a deck with a real need for it.
Posted 29 July 2013 at 13:28

Heh i guess...

I stopped actively looking on the internet for decks for quite some time now and checked this site out because some friends were using it to show us some decklists. And the Elexier never striked me as a real good card, more likely if your meta has some mill players, but even then i never have problems against mill.

So it bugged me why everyone was playing this card, instead of 2 actual helpful cards. They even took time to plan a sideboard, which it could fit in.

Usally the elexier players have 20 lands in the deck too. Doesnt even matter if theyre playing some sort of control or aggro deck.
Posted 29 July 2013 at 13:36

It's not even good against mill as you still have to draw it. If you play 4xTrinket Mage and a toolbox, then sure, but if not they should run Gaea's Blessing or and Eldrazi in a mill heavy casual meta. And if they run an eldrazi (Kozilek or whatever) then they should run Survival of the fittest to instant speed shuffle back their library :)

Anyway, the sideboards are funny too. Everyone seems to have a sideboard in casual decks, makes no sense what so ever. Well maybe if you always play against the same people and they always play the same strategies then you have a meta that you can sideboard against but personally, I've never seen anyone sideboard in casual play.
I did used to run wishboards in casual but that's different.
Posted 29 July 2013 at 14:06

I put it in a lot of EDH decks that are weak on recursion and have put it to pretty awesome use in limited paired with Trading Post but it really doesn't belong in most decks.

Straight life gain is horrible and most formats are too fast for graveyard shuffling to be relevant so unless you've got a specific synergy for it or are using it to gain a little extra value from EDH, you probably shouldn't be playing it.
Posted 30 July 2013 at 04:37