Discussion Forum

Into the Wilds

Is this card actually good? I originally thought it was a bad do nothing card, but I'm seeing copies in tons of green standard decks... why?
Posted 30 July 2013 at 20:25

As an EDH player, I think it's an awesome card.

Even in other constructed formats, it lets you look at the top card of your library without revealing it before you draw so you could crack a fetch or whatever and it keeps you from drawing lands which basically become dead draws as the game goes on.

It's ramp that puts the card into play untapped which is a rarity.

The 4 CMC probably makes it too slow for legacy but in standard it can be pretty powerful.
Posted 31 July 2013 at 04:15

Well yeah I can see it being amazing for EDH. Its standard that's confusing me though...it just doesn't seem fast enough. I love how good it is in topdeck mode for preventing dead draws, but how often does that happen?
Posted 31 July 2013 at 04:23

It really would depend on the deck... Obviously an aggro deck would not like it much but a more midrange/control based deck would be able to find use for it. With Thragtusk being a huge bomb in standard, 4 drops aren't really that untouchable.
Posted 31 July 2013 at 06:43

I will probably never play it, not even in EDH. Oracle of Mul Daya serves this purpose and is so much better. Although a second Oracle of Mul Daya ish effect would be nice but as it doesn't guarantee hitting land when you need it and costs 4 mana it's just not that great, not in terms of dropping Kodama's Reach or Skyshroud Claim for it to free up a card slot. At 4 mana I don't see it being good in any format, at 2 mana it would have been playable and even then it might not be for competitive play.

They's printed a simular card in the past called Endless Horizons. It does pretty much the same but slightly better IMO. It never saw play though.
Posted 31 July 2013 at 06:59

[QUOTE=Seth]They's printed a simular card in the past called Endless Horizons. It does pretty much the same but slightly better IMO. It never saw play though.[/QUOTE]

That isn't remotely similar... Horizons helps you hit land drops as they go to your hand at an extremely large risk of exiling all your lands and losing them to a disenchant. It's not playable because white already does it better for 1 with Land Tax effects. The only thing they have in common is they both help you not draw lands.

Into the Wilds is straight ramp that improves card quality (not drawing lands), comes in untapped (which the majority of ramp does not do) and allows for abuse of shuffle effects and top manipulation without revealing your draw or being globally helpful. It's definitely not playable in larger formats but Standard is slow. It's still extremely playable in EDH as the enchantment type is much harder to remove than Oracle and you can't screw the ramp player by killing it in their upkeep or with a spell on the stack to remove the extra ramp that turn.
Posted 31 July 2013 at 08:36

But It is very simular

- both are 4 mana

- both have the potential to increase card quality, Into the Wilds by randomly hitting land and Endless Horizon by immediatly extracting land and increasing your chance to draw business

- It's true that Into the wilds becomes much better with helper cards like Sensei's Divining Top and simular but the same can be said for Endless Horizons which can also greatly benefit from helper cards like Azusa, Lost but Seeking or exploration.

- Into the wilds gives you a random shot at playing an additional random land where Endless Horizons doesn't ramp you but it feeds you a steady extra card each turn (one sided howling mine) and when playing duals tutors you any color combination you want = it's card quality.

- There is the chance of removal when playing horizons but If you fetch lets say 4 or 5 lands from your EDH deck it's not going to matter much. You should not fetch all land obviously as chances are small that it will remain in play all game long. Same can be said for Into the wilds. It's only going to serve you for a couple of turns.

- It's true that white has land tax and Weathered Wayfarer but the same can be said for Into the wilds and simular green cards like Oracle of Mul Daya.

It's just more stable mana fix versus less stable mana ramp and both can be greatly improved by supporting them with other cards.
Posted 31 July 2013 at 09:07

How will it work if you have two Into The Wilds in play?
Posted 01 August 2013 at 01:42

I think it'll go like this:
Upkeep - into the wilds 1 triggers, look at top card. If its a land, play it. If not, don't.
Into the wilds 2 triggers. If into the wilds 1 hit a land, look again. If not, no point because you know that it won't hit a land. Then draw.
Basically if there are two lands in a row on top you get two lands.
Posted 01 August 2013 at 01:51

Thanks buddy!
Posted 01 August 2013 at 01:54