Discussion Forum

Giant Deck Help

Looking to see what people's thoughts and opinions are on my Giant deck. Any thoughts on what may make it better?

Thanks to all who help

http://www.mtgvault.com/maverick0524/decks/giant-deck-opinionsimproveme/
Posted 16 August 2013 at 03:20

It's unplayable and I suspect you haven't actually played it yet or you would know that. Your 20 land mana base can't support your very mana intensive creature base. You'll get to 4 mana in 5 to 6 turns and then nothing for turn after turn.

Either try to accelerate using creatures like Stinkdrinker Daredevil and Brighthearth Banneret or do some kind of mana ramp with artifacts like Thran Dynamo, Sol Ring, boros signet...

See that you can deal with fast decks, this usually means playing some sort of Wrath of God effect when you yourself play a slow deck. You have Desolation Giant but at 6 mana to wrath he's not very effective when you get overrun by fast weeni decks turn 4 or 5. (lorwyn block casual decks like Kithkins, goblins, elves, elementals will all do that).
You could play 4xDay of Judgment which is really cheap and combined with some spot removal will keep you alive long enough to play some big guys.
Posted 16 August 2013 at 07:15

I agree with Seth that since you're only running 20 lands you will have a very difficult time hitting land drops to get your 6+ casting cost cards out. I would suggest putting in at least four more lands. Another thing to consider in your mana base is that you have roughly 80% red and 20% white, perhaps you should consider changing your plains to mountain ratio. Another good idea for this is to replace some plains with R/W multilands such as Boros Guildgate. It will still give you the white mana you need while helping to prevent leaving you stuck with all plains and red cards and nothing to do.

If you want to keep it only giants, take out Boggart Ram-Gang, since it's a goblin. It's not too bad otherwise, though there are plenty of cards that fill that roll better.

If you could get your hands on some lightning bolts those would be an awesome replacement for searing spear.

That's what I can see at first glance, since I won't be playing this I can't tell you much more.
Posted 16 August 2013 at 07:46

If you're running a giant deck stinkdrinker daredevil is an absolute must, brings down the huge mana costs that most all the giants have. If you don't care about modern legality you can even throw in seething song or keep it modern legal with pyretic ritual.

That's kinda funny you posted about a giant deck because I just made one too.

http://www.mtgvault.com/chewrida/decks/kindred-giant-counterspell/
Posted 18 August 2013 at 15:21