Discussion Forum

New Player, got M14 "Death Reaper" Intro pack please help improving it, thank you.

Hello, started playing again after two years, bought the "Death Reaper" Intro pack today with a fat pack and whipped this together, wondering how I can improve it, all suggestions welcome, thank you :)

"Death Reaper Upgrade Deck." http://www.mtgvault.com/marksie/decks/death-reaper-upgrade-2/

//Artifact (1)
x1 Bubbling Cauldron

//Creature (19)
x2 Academy Raider
x2 Blood Bairn
x1 Bogbrew Witch
x3 Festering Newt
x2 Gnawing Zombie
x3 Liliana's Reaver
x3 Tenacious Dead
x1 Vampire Warlord
x2 Young Pyromancer

//Enchantment (2)
x2 Barrage of Expendables

//Instant (8)
x2 Altar's Reap
x2 Shock
x4 Wring Flesh

//Sorcery (4)
x2 Corrupt
x2 Wild Guess

//Land (26)
x1 Encroaching Wastes
x8 Mountain
x17 Swamp
Posted 26 August 2013 at 09:19

You really need a sideboard.
Too much can shut you down.

I'd incorporate 2 doom blades main and sideboard another 2, just in case.
Think of the opponents, do you have a response for mill? What about aggro? Mid range is kinda freaky, just ensure you have a condition for every deck in your metagame. All in all, a decent start.

I like the blood bairon, tenacious D idea, but liliana's reaver might be overkill for creature. I'd replace that with a couple doom blades and devour flesh. You have a lot of creatures, id check on that aspect also and replace with some control to keep your opponent guessing.

This was just after a quick over view, just a few ideas i noticed first.
Posted 27 August 2013 at 19:35

You want to load the deck up with burn spells and creature removal/card removal spells. See you will be facing a lot of control decks so use these types of cards to force their hand. If not control you will face hard hitting green and red decks. In those cases the same thing goes you need lots of damage spells and removal spells. The other popular deck you will face is life gain that uses enchantments to slow you down and then brings out the big guys that clear the battle grounds. In this case the same is still ture burn and removal cards. The only way you can do without using this cheap tactic is if you have a crazy good deck that current standard cards can't handle.
Posted 05 October 2013 at 09:30