Discussion Forum

Commander

In the commander format, I see all these banned cards (like demonic tutor, the non-spell lands from mirridon, etc). I am curious about if you can actually play with them. If they are banned in other formats then why are they not banned in commander?
:confused:
Posted 14 November 2013 at 15:01

They are not banned in other formats just in some of the young formats, everything that is legal in Commander is legal in either legacy or vintage and usually both. It's a vintage based format with a small ban list of cards that supposedly break the format.

It's not because something is not standard or Modern that it isn't playable or fair or balanced. In my opinion Legacy is far more balanced then any other format. Maybe vintage is too but I never played it so I can't say. Commander is a well balanced multiplayer format and I've been playing it for years, it's great, try it.
Posted 14 November 2013 at 15:30

I think you are answering my question wrong, but I maybe unsure. I am asking if you play cards like black lotus, and ponder is your deck legal?
Posted 15 November 2013 at 03:01

He didn't answer your question wrong... Commander uses the Vintage banned list plus a few additions specific to the format. That's exactly what he said and it's the exact answer you were looking for. Ponder is vintage legal which makes it legal in EDH. Being banned in Modern has no relevance to the Vintage banned list. Black Lotus is on the commander specific banned list so it's not playable even though it's only restricted in Vintage. Demonic Tutor is legal in Vintage so it's legal in EDH. Being on the Legacy banned list again has no relevance.

Here's the official banned list sans vintage:

The following is the official banned list for commander games. These cards (and others like them) should not be played without prior agreement from the other players in the game.
Ancestral Recall
Balance
Biorhythm
Black Lotus
Coalition Victory
Channel
Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
Fastbond
Gifts Ungiven
Karakas
Library of Alexandria
Limited Resources