Discussion Forum

Working on a non-standard/modern Goblin Deck

So I've got a build that works pretty well, focusing on a play set of Door of Destinies and using Tribal Goblin spells and cheap Goblins to jack it up as fast as possible, but I'm wondering if anyone has tips on ways to build the deck up to be stronger out of the gate.

I like to play with one off's to prevent the deck from getting boring and I have a side deck where I might put a Tarfire on a stick with Isochron Scepter.

http://www.mtgvault.com/dameonlg/decks/606016/

I've also got a couple lands that I'm waiting on that work like Dwarven Hold, but for Black (I've got the Dwarven Hold itself), and am considering getting Auntie's Hovel to replace some of the other land like Akoum Refuge or Rakdos Carnarium.

Any input or tips?
Posted 24 November 2013 at 22:12

- you run a very mana intensive deck on 18 land, it won't work.
- you need a way to generate card advantage, in a legacy goblin deck they use Goblin Ringleader combined with Goblin Matron for that purpose and they run only goblins, land and 4 Aether Vial so that Ringleader has the best possible chance of drawing goblins.
- If you want to keep it on a low budget build a Black Goblin prowl deck with Lorwyn goblins. Best thing is to keep it mono black, that way it's efficient, easy to build and you won't get color screwed.

Here's some choices I would pick from

Stinkdrinker Bandit
Nightshade Stinger
Prickly Boggart
Frogtosser Banneret
Oona's Prowler
Oona's Blackguard
Earwig Squad
Nameless Inversion
Auntie's Snitch

Cloak and Dagger
Aether Vial

you can dip red using lands like Auntie's Hovel that give 2 colors and don't enter play tapped for really good cards like

Goblin Ringleader
Mogg War Marshal
Stingscourger (a single copy is always good)

If you toolbox your deck running single copies of certain cards with an ability like Stingscourger, Goblin Matron becomes very important
Posted 25 November 2013 at 08:35

I was thinking of running a playset of Subterranean Hangar and Mercadian Bazaar in place of some of the two color lands, like Carnarium. They stock mana for free, and only require you to tap them to remove any amount of mana stored on them (Infinitely better than things like Slagheap imo)

I also have the black Goblin that functions like Goblin Matron, Boggart Harbinger, which is the same mana cost (subbing black for red) and is a 2/1 instead of a 1/1.

I'd probably splice a couple of those in, and would wonder if having that, as well as Moggcatcher out, would be a decent combo, because it's use Moggcatcher, play Boggart/Matron, (Add 1 to DoD), next turn draw chosen goblin, play chosen goblin (+1 to DoD) for something that gives haste, use Moggcatcher, play Krenko, tap Krenko, get minimum three 3/3 Goblin tokens (Or 4/4 if the haste Goblin was Chieftain).

The reason I was considering red was because of the lack of haste and +1/+1 field goblins. Black doesn't seem to do that, but I suppose if I spliced in fairies it could work.
Posted 25 November 2013 at 14:06

while haste is pretty important, it's one of the reasons I struggle dealing with goblins during tournaments, you must realize that haste is worth nothing if your decks isn't able to play creatures super fast because of a slow mana base.

Goblin Warchief is the big bad scary goblin that gives the legacy tournament goblin deck haste. Once he is out facing goblins is horrible. But he is pretty difficult to include in a mostly black version because of his :manar::manar::mana1: cost and getting 2 red mana without playing duals and fetchlands slows you down.

Krenko is good but again difficult to play in a 2 color deck and his manacost of 4 mana is a lot for an aggro deck that doesn't cheat. Legacy Goblins are able to cheat due to Goblin Lackey and Aether Vial, both allowing you to play cards like Krenko and Siege-Gang Commander without putting to much pressure on the landbase.
Posted 25 November 2013 at 14:26

I sadly don't own either of those cards (I think my only method of finding Goblin Lackey in my area is probably online purchases), but I do realize that my deck does have some very expensive goblins and I would probably sub out a few four cost cards for more 1 or 2 cost cards.

Probably taking out the Moggcatchers for things like Matron, Boggart and possibly Ring Leader, as DoD doesn't benefit from Moggcatcher's just playing a Goblin.
Posted 25 November 2013 at 14:42

[QUOTE=DameonLG]I think my only method of finding Goblin Lackey in my area is probably online purchases[/QUOTE]

that's how I do it :)
Posted 26 November 2013 at 15:08

I did swap out the Moggcatchers and one of the Wort, Boggart Auntie's for the Goblin Matron and twp Bpggart Harbingers.

I also added in some of those stockpile lands I was talking about

http://www.mtgvault.com/dameonlg/decks/606016/

I didn't go with a leaning towards black, but I'm probably going to pull out the Akoum Refuge for just more basic lands.
Posted 28 November 2013 at 16:03

I'm not saying black goblins are better, just saying that a decent black goblin deck costs less then a good red goblin deck. So it doesn't really matter what colors you play as long as you make it as fast and efficient as possible within your available budget. The ultimate goblin deck is know, it's been competitive in legacy tournaments for as long as I can remember and keeps being one of the best decks in magic. The problem is, it's expensive. So just learn from it and see what you can do on a budget.

I don't like Door of Destinies and you play 4. It's so slow. Do the games you play take that long for it to shine? And don't your opponents just shoot it down?
Posted 29 November 2013 at 07:03

I usually play four player games, so I tend to keep my head down, drop DoD and 2 or 3 one cost goblins. In one on one I tend to play Infect/Proliferate, Level Up/Proliferate, Artifacts and Gruul.

My biggest problem right now is fliers in this deck.

I think my thing is trying to take standard color combinations and play them in unusual ways.

Everyone I know has a standard Izzet deck, I'm the only one that does level up Izzet.

I do usually have a Goblin to play every turn, though, my only problem was Goblins with two red mana costs in a game where I only got one red Mana. (Had 5 black, but only one red)

Usual win maneuver is...
- a couple chump goblin blockers,
- DoD, play one cost,
- play Goblin Matron, get Warchief,
- play Warchief and Harbinger,
- get Krenko, tap Krenko, have 5-6 7/7 Goblin Tokens with haste, swing.
Posted 29 November 2013 at 14:37