Discussion Forum

Simic Primal Surge/Omniscience counter strategy.

I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this combo and if there are any cards that would naturally make this type of combo harder to pull off aside from like....add counter spells to my deck.

I mean I could get some cards that are like 'name a card, target player cannot play that card' or something.

I also have a few Earwig Squad's I could add in, but is there anything I might be missing?
Posted 16 December 2013 at 06:29

Kill them before they get to 10 mana? Those are both huge mana investments and you should be able to keep them off that much mana or just flat out kill them before they get anywhere close to it.

I'm not sure what combo you're specifically referring to but Primal Surge generally means they have no other spells in the deck so a simple fog effect may be enough to make them lose at the draw.

The only other options are removing it before they can go off or spot removal in response to starting their combo, whatever it may be. If they have an instant speed combo they can use in response, make sure it's split second removal or know how the stack works better than they do.
Posted 16 December 2013 at 07:34

what format are you playing? If it's EDH which I assume it is like Epsilon stated Primal Surge decks don't play non permanents and usually don't interact with you very well. A simple Rout in their turn when they flip their entire deck, give everything haste and attack will kill them.

Time stop, fog, Evacuation all fun cards to stop them.
Posted 16 December 2013 at 08:42

I support the blue wave and recommend a counter spell of some type. Or even [CARD="Counterspell"]Counterspell, if that's what your playgroup lets in. Other than that, maybe ending their game before they can cast ten mana spells would be good.
Posted 17 December 2013 at 21:41