Discussion Forum

[Noteworthy Plays] I've got a lovely bunch of preview cards

Greetings and Salutations from Noteworthy Plays! Sorry for the long quiet, I've been busy what with the new year and all, but here I am with a preview article for Worldwake! Wizards just posted their Visual Spoiler, so I'm going to go over the cards that've been spoiled so far, including ones not on the spoiler just yet. Here's the link if you're interested: http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/art...ldwake/spoiler

UPDATE 1/17/10: Ok, I'll be updating this post every time I get a new update, cards marked as NEW are up to a week old, so here's some new stuff. It's also organized by color and alphabetically now.

---NEW---
Admonition Angel - 3WWW
Creature - Angel
Mythic Rare
Text:
Flying
Landfall - Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, you may exile target nonland permanent other than Admonition Angel.
When Admonition Angel leaves the battlefield, return all cards exiled with it to the battlefield under their owners' control.
P/T:6/6

Wow, what a doozy! Ok, so not only do we have another good white creature, it's just plain bomby in whatever format it's in (that being Standard and Zendikar-Worldwake Limited, to be specific). 6 is usually steep, but for a 6/6 flier with a truly relevant ability, it's just really good. It O-Rings stuff! More than once! And, it doesn't die to Burst Lightning (I'm looking at you, Roil Elemental).

---NEW---

Join the Ranks - 3W
Instant
Common
Text:
Put two 1/1 white Soldier Ally creature tokens onto the battlefield.

Um....Wow. No really, wow. 4 mana for 2 1/1s at instant speed normally isn't good....or decent. Heck, we've got 1R for sorcery speed from alara. But, not only are they Soldiers, they're Ally soldiers. This card, mark my words, is what will make Allies a constructed force if it ever comes to that. This makes all sorts of stuff good. Kabira Evangel comes to mind... And they're Soldiers, so if you're running mono-W soldiers with the Kazandu Blademaster in there, just one of these and Kazandu's huge. Just saying, this card has the potential to be extremely good. We shall see.

-------------------

Kitesail Apprentice - W
Creature - Kor Soldier
Common

Text:
As long as Kitesail Apprentice is equipped, it gets +1/+1 and has flying.
P/T:1/1

Alright, this one's a pretty basic 1/1 for 1 with a nice little boost and an evasion ability if it's equipped. Constructed playable? Probably not, but it should see some small measure of play in limited, as Kor Equip's one of those strategies that'll randomly work in draft.

-----NEW------

Kor Firewalker - WW
Creature - Kor Soldier
Uncommon
Text:
Protection from red
Whenever a player casts a red spell, you may gain 1 life.
P/T:2/2

Wow. People were already playing Dragon's Claw in their boards, and they're gonna print this? Red decks just got some serious hate. I like it. This will be played in sideboards for sure.

-----NEW----------

Ruin Ghost - 1W
Creature - Spirit
Uncommon
Text:
W, {T}: Exile target land you control, then return it to the battlefield under your control.

This card...I don't know. It could potentially be randomly good for EtB abilities on lands like Kabira Crossroads and the like, but I'm not seeing it played in Constructed. Limited...maybe with shenanigans in your deck already, but it's gonna be a late pick in draft for certain.

-----NEW----------

Talus Paladin - 3W
Creature - Human Knight Ally
Rare
Text:
Whenever Talus Paladin or another Ally enters the battlefield under your control, you may have Allies you control gain lifelink until end of turn and you may put a +1/+1 counter on Talus Paladin.
P/T:2/3

Another really good Ally. Constructed good even. Give my board lifelink, yes please. I see W/x Allies having a future. A really good future. I like this deck already. Anyways, It gives all your Allies lifelink, and it gets bigger. Think Turntimber Ranger good, but 1 mana less. That's good. Standard will probably have an Ally deck. Tier 1? I hope so.

-------------------

Halimar Excavator - 1U
Creature - Human Wizard Ally
Common
Text:
Whenever Halimar Excavator or another Ally enters the battlefield under your control, target player puts the top X cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard, where X is the number of Allies you control.
P/T:1/3

I'm gonna warn you now, I love mill, so I'm biased. I really love the flavor of this card, and I'm so glad that mill's on an Ally now. Definitely makes the mill deck draftable in Zen/Zen/WW draft. I doubt it'll have anything in constructed, but only time will tell.

---------------

Jace, the Mind Sculptor - 2UU
Planeswalker - Jace
Mythic Rare
Text:
+2: Look at the top card of target player's library. You may put that card on the bottom of that player's library.
0: Draw three cards, then put two cards from your hand on top of your library in any order.
-1: Return target creature to its owner's hand.
-12: Exile all cards from target player's library, then that player shuffles his or her hand into his or her library.

Wow, new Jace is cool. But is it good? Brainstorm for free every turn's really nice, and the ultimate's fancy, but I don't see it going off ever. The bounce can protect him, and he's just really nifty. All at the low low price of 4 mana. Yeah, he's good in constructed and limited, and he'll see play in control decks. Whether they'll use him as a win-con? I hope so, cuz it'd be neat.

-------------

Mysteries of the Deep - 4U
Instant
Common
Text:
Draw two cards.
Landfall - If you had a land enter the battlefield under your control this turn, draw three cards instead.

Ok, so it seems we finally hit a blue spell. And man do I like it. 3 cards for 5 is top notch these days, and at instant speed the blue players are getting some love. I expect it to replace the slots that Mind Spring takes up in blue decks, because it's an instant. However, I could be wrong. The landfall ability makes it so that you either have to crack a fetch, get pathed, or play it during your turn, which defeats the purpose of instant speed draw. Still, I see it getting some play in constructed. Draft? Mayhap, it depends how the format turns out, if control in limited's actually viable.

----NEW----

Wind Zendikon - U
Enchantment - Aura
Common
Text:
Enchant land
Enchanted land is a 2/2 blue Elemental creature with flying. It’s still a land.
When enchanted land is put into a graveyard, return that card to its owner’s hand.

This is my favorite common so far. It's a 2/2 flier for 1. How good is that! And it returns the inevitably destroyed land back to your hand, which all the Zendikons do (apparently, after seeing 2 so far). So, this is confirmed as a common cycle of Enchant Lands that make lands into creatures. So far, so good. This one's definitely going to be drafted, maybe even played in Standard. Probably not, but I can dream.

-----NEW----------

Kalastria Highborn - BB
Creature - Vampire Shaman
Rare
Text:
Whenever Kalastria Highborn or another Vampire you control is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may pay B. If you do, target player loses 2 life and you gain 2 life.
P/T:2/2

This card? Is good. Is very, very good. Like Vampires needed another good card. Definitely played in Standard, because people love their vampires, in general. Draft? You could make a pretty sick Vampires deck with this, but since it's rare it'll be difficult.

------NEW--------

Quest for the Nihil Stone - B
Enchantment
Rare
Text:
Whenever an opponent discards a card, you may put a quest counter on Quest for the Nihil Stone.
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, if that player has no cards in hand and Quest for the Nihil Stone has two or more quest counters on it, you may have that player lose 5 life.

Here's why I like it: One Blightning or Mind Rot turns it on. Here's why I don't: I felt exactly the same way about Bloodchief Ascension as I do about this card, so it probably won't work. Won't stop me from building the Bloodchief Nihil Stone deck though. It seems fun, but the fact it's a do-nothing enchantment 'til it's on is kind of lackluster. Them's the quests though.

-------------------

Ruthless Cullblade - 1B
Creature - Vampire Warrior
Common
Text:
Ruthless Cullblade gets +2/+1 as long as an opponent has 10 or less life.
P/T: 2/1

Alright, now we get into Vampires, the tribe that's getting its greatest support from this block. Ruthless Cullblade is kind of vanilla, so i don't expect it to be picked highly in draft or played heavily in constructed. Still, 2 for a 4/2's not bad, it's just not great.

--------------

Smother - 1B
Instant
Uncommon
Text:
Destroy target creature with converted mana cost 3 or less. It can't be regenerated.

Smother is a reprint, and one that is certain to see play across both extended and standard. And it's removal, so it's good in limited too.

----NEW------

Chain Reaction - 2RR
Sorcery
Rare
Text:
Chain Reaction deals X damage to each creature, where X is the number of creatures on the battlefield.

This makes the Eldrazi deck sad. Other than that, it's amazing in limited, but might only see the light of day Constructed-wise in sideboards. Even then, it's a big maybe.

-------------------

Comet Storm - XRR
Instant
Mythic Rare
Text:
Multikicker 1
Choose target creature or player, then choose another target creature or player for each time Comet Storm was kicked. Comet Storm deals X damage to each of them.

What more can I say, they made Fireball better. Way better. Constructed playable? We'll see.

---NEW----

Cunning Sparkmage - 2R
Creature - Human Shaman
Uncommon
Text:
Haste
T: Cunning Sparkmage deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
P/T:?/? (Unknown as of this time.)

You ever hear of a card called Vulshok Sorcerer? Back in Fifth Dawn, there was a card that was all this for 1RR. It was a 1/1. Will this be a 1/1? Probably, but thankfully it's an Uncommon. They get really irritating in draft otherwise. Might see play in constructed, but probably not. The haste is good and all, but 1 damage just isn't enough usually.

----NEW---------

Dragonmaster Outcast - R
Creature - Human Shaman
Mythic Rare
Text:
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you control six or more lands, put a 5/5 red Dragon creature token with flying onto the battlefield.

It's Scute Mob, but sturdier. Basically, the longer your opponent leaves it alone, the harder it is to kill (and the dudes it brings in). Better Scute Mob, save for one small problem: It's red. Red players aren't usually in the habit of seeing 6 or more lands. Still, it's easily splashable, so it should see play in Standard. Maybe even in a silly extended deck, though I doubt it, it's too slow. Legacy? nope. Limited? Bomb.

---NEW-----------

Ricochet Trap - 3R
Instant - Trap
Uncommon
Text:
If an opponent cast a blue spell this turn, you may pay R rather than pay Ricochet Trap’s mana cost.
Change the target of target spell with a single target.

It's a Swerve for R! I like it. It's anti-blue, it's a trap, and it counters blue exactly the way Red should. Plan on seeing it in Sideboards near you. Limited you say? Tricks, but playable. Just not top pick.

-------------------

Skitter of Lizards - R
Creature - Lizard
Common

Text:
Multikicker 1R
Haste
Skitter of Lizards enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each time it was kicked.

Alright, a red card! But this one seems a bit...underpowered. I'll rave about the elf Lord (who I will talk about shortly) who is essentially the same, but this one's just...lacking. Limited it'll see play because it's so multifunction, but otherwise, i doubt it. Anyways, Let me take this time to explain Multikicker.

Multikicker X : You may pay an additional X any number of times as you cast this spell. Basically, it's just like kicker, but you can do it more than once. I'm sure later multikicker cards will use this in some complicated way, but I expect there to be little deviation from the basics for Worldwake. I'm reading the spoiler as I type, so I don't know yet.

Moving on!

----NEW-------

Bestial Menace - 3GG
Sorcery
Uncommon
Text:
Put a 1/1 green Snake creature token, a 2/2 green Wolf creature token, and a 3/3 green Elephant creature token onto the battlefield.

This card is a functional reprint of a card whose name I cannot remember. Only it made a 1/1 Squirrel, a 2/2 Bear, and a 3/3 Beast. I think. Props to whoever finds out what it was. Anyways, good in limited (because it makes 3 guys for 1 card, all at 5 mana). Probably won't see the light of constructed's day, but I could be wrong. I highly doubt it though.

---NEW-----------

Canopy Cover - 1G
Enchantment - Aura
Uncommon
Text:
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature can't be blocked except by creatures with flying and/or reach.
Enchanted creature can't be the target of spells or abilities your opponents control.

It gives stuff Flying (without calling it flying, weird) and Troll-shroud. Good in limited, bad in constructed. Creature Enchantments are bad most of the time in Constructed, and this one's no exception. I'd draft it though.

---NEW---------

Joraga Warcaller - G
Creature - Elf Warrior
Rare
Text:
Multikicker 1G
Joraga Warcaller enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each time it was kicked.
Other Elf creatures you control get +1/+1 for each +1/+1 counter on Joraga Warcaller.

Ok, so this card's good. Like really good. Like Eldrazi Elves just got a nice upgrade. It's not the end-all of everything, but for people playing against eldrazi, it's a major threat they die to or deal with, their choice. In limited, if you could build the right elf deck, it'd be sick, but since you won't see him 'til pack 3 at the earliest, I doubt it'll happen. Still, really good card.
UPDATE: I looked back over this and realized something: Legacy Elves might run this. It's the first preview card I'm positively happy in Eternal formats for.

-----------------

Leatherback Baloth - GGG
Creature - Beast
Rarity Unknown, probably Uncommon
Text: (none)
P/T: 4/5

It's a 3 drop 4/5. Kinda telling about what Wizards is doing to creature powerlevels, but otherwise not truly noteworthy.

--------------

Vastwood Zendikon - 4G
Enchantment - Aura
Common

Text:
Enchant land

Enchanted land is a 6/4 green Elemental creature. It's still a land.
When enchanted land is put into a graveyard, return that card to its owner's hand.

Wow, looks like we're starting out with a pretty cool looking enchantment! Normally I'm not a huge fan of Auras in general, as they usually leave you open for 2 for 1s (destroy your creature and the enchantment you're trying to get on it? Don't mind if i do!), but this one's pretty good, all things considering. It's a 6/4 for 5 mana, which is average. However, if you play it on sixth turn on an untapped land that you didn't play this turn, it essentially has haste! Seems pretty good in limited, and it might find its way into a standard deck, though its mana cost is certainly prohibitive on that respect. We shall see!

---NEW---------

Lodestone Golem - 4
Artifact Creature - Golem
Rare
Text:
Nonartifact spells cost 1 more to cast.
P/T:5/3

Finally, an Artifact! And what an artifact it is! 4 for a 5/3's par as far as price to power goes, but look at that nifty ability! I don't know what would play it, but something may. I hope this gets played, because without a kill spell Cascade gets much weaker. Still, good. As far as limited goes...eh. Oh, wait, I take that back, it's got a 3 toughness, which makes it ok in limited, bad in Constructed. Dies to bolt. Sad face.

-------------------

Celestial Colonnade
Land
Rare
Text:
Celestial Colonnade enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add W or U to your mana pool.
3WU: Until end of turn, Celestial Colonnade becomes a 4/4 white and blue Elemental creature with flying and vigilance. It's still a land.

This one got spoiled a while ago, but it's on the list so it deserves some commentary. Yes I like it, Yes I think it'll get played, and I really really hope there's going to be a full cycle of man lands like this. That is all. It's good, period.

----NEW---------

Dread Statuary
Land
Uncommon
Text:
T: Add 1 to your mana pool.
4: Dread Statuary becomes a 4/2 Golem artifact creature until end of turn. It's still a land.

It's a man land! At uncommon! yay. However, let's break it down. it's a 4/2, which is normally pretty good, but for 4? ew, I don't like it. Call me crazy, but I liked Mutavault. Anyways, It's good in limited because it's a land that does something, but outside that, the other cycle of man-lands will get played above this for certain.

-----NEW----------

Lavaclaw Reaches
Land
Rare
Text:
Lavaclaw Reaches enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add B or R to your mana pool.
1BR: Until end of turn, Lavaclaw Reaches becomes a 2/2 red and black Elemental creature with "X: This creature gets +X/+0 until end of turn." It's still a land.

Now this is a man-land! 2/2 for 3 on a dual-color land. I love it. and it's got colorless firebreathing. Casual combo-players take note, had Standard been Lorwyn-Shadowmoor-Zendikar, there'd be a cool combo with this land and Ceaseless Searblades. As it is, it's a land that's good in standard and Limited.

-------------------

Quicksand
Land
Uncommon
T: Add 1 to your mana pool.
T, Sacrifice Quicksand: Target attacking creature without flying gets -1/-2 until end of turn.

Why are they reprinting Quicksand? It makes no sense. It's removal you can see coming. Yay? I dislike this card. Wait, you play it in the Knight of the Reliquary deck! No. Bad in Constructed (unless the format's changed that much from when Tenth was in Rotation), decent in limited.

To my original comments, I have nothing to add but this: I really like this set so far, the land theme's getting better, and I called man-lands. I have no proof of this, but I'm just sayin'. I didn't call Man-land-enchantments though. Those are pretty nifty. Anyways, 'til next update.
Posted 13 January 2010 at 12:09

re Mysteries of the Deep:

a 3 draw for 5 mana seems kinda crappy to me
Posted 13 January 2010 at 18:42

Like I said, I might be wrong about it, but considering the inherent lack of instant speed draw in Standard right now, It may get played over something like mind spring. It really depends on how the format develops. Still, it's not mana hungry, so any deck with even a little blue in it can run it, which is another advantage.
Posted 14 January 2010 at 04:24

I'm going to have to stand up for Mysteries of the Deep, too; consider that for five mana, Mind Spring also draws you three cards. The Spring is more flexible, but it isn't an instant. Since Wizards didn't bother to reprint Tidings, I'd say this is a good draw spell. It feels good that they're willing to print some decent instant-speed draw in blue again!

I have to say I hate that new ally, though. Allies have been almost exclusively an aggro-oriented tribe so far, and now they throw in a card that contributes nothing to the strategy. Perhaps if a few more milling-related allies are printed I'll change my opinion of him? As it stands, I just loathe the idea of replying to thousands of Ally deck help threads, saying over and over "take the Halimar Excavator out of your deck- he doesn't contribute to your deck's goal of dealing twenty damage to the opponent". :(

Comet Storm is good. Like, really, really good! That has to be wrong- I can't believe they'd print it as an instant! It's good enough as Rolling Thunder number two, but insane as an instant. I'm going to preorder myself a playset for certain.
Posted 14 January 2010 at 14:28

I don't play Standard so I don't evaluate cards with respect to what hole it could be filling in whatever the current Standard card list is at the time it's released. I was viewing it more from an Extended/Eternal player's POV.

and honestly, I don't think a 1-2 card advantage is worth 5 mana regardless of what the other options(or lack thereof) are at the moment. there's no real benefit to gaining card advantage if it taps you out and you can't cast whatever you just drew.
Posted 14 January 2010 at 15:43

@scumbling1: I agree with you on the Ally front, but I still like the fact you can draft mill in Zendikar with more consistent results now. As for Comet Storm? Strictly better, it's really really good.

@Seras: Ah, I see where you're coming from. Yes, it's worse than the draw spells in extended. (I miss Thirst in Standard, I really do) As for legacy? I don't think there's a single card spoiled for it (with the exception of the Elf Lord). However, In lieu of better instant-speed draw in standard, what else are they gonna use?
Posted 15 January 2010 at 00:00

[QUOTE=Seras]I don't play Standard so I don't evaluate cards with respect to what hole it could be filling in whatever the current Standard card list is at the time it's released. I was viewing it more from an Extended/Eternal player's POV.

and honestly, I don't think a 1-2 card advantage is worth 5 mana regardless of what the other options(or lack thereof) are at the moment. there's no real benefit to gaining card advantage if it taps you out and you can't cast whatever you just drew.[/QUOTE]

I actually don't play Standard, either. I was looking at it more from a casual/EDH perspective than anything else. I fully agree this won't see play in a single Eternal or Extended decklist, but I think I'll be adding it to numerous highlander decks. Furthermore, I see it as a sign of good faith on Wizard's part to print instant draw that doesn't completely suck.

I disagree with you on the second statement, however. The beauty of instant-speed draw is that you can hold mana open, and if you don't have to counterspell something, you can cast it during the opponent's End phase; it doesn't tap you out unless you're trying to dig for counters in response to a spell. I don't know if a dedicated draw-go deck exists in Standard (I doubt it!), but this is just the card do aid in such a deck's development.
Posted 15 January 2010 at 14:59

Alright, for future reference to all, I'm going to be adding Preview cards and reviews of them to the OP as time goes on, leading up to the prerelease, after which I'll....find better things to report on.
Posted 15 January 2010 at 23:51

Quick question to all those readers out there, is anyone interested on me doing any more preview reviews of some of the good stuff in Worldwake?
Posted 17 January 2010 at 11:15

*raises hand* ;)
Posted 17 January 2010 at 11:47

Well, since I know better than to argue with the mod :D I'm adding more to the Original Post and reorganizing them. If no one has any complaints, I'll be updating them this way from now on. If there are complaints....they'll be noted, probably. Maybe. I listen, I promise.
Posted 17 January 2010 at 13:40

Hey guess what? Woldwake will never compare to Onslaught. That's a giant middle finger to Wizards! Fu** you, you fu***** as*****'s. Get a life, cu**s. Stroke a hairy di**. Suck my as*****. Shove a di*** up your motherfu***** mom's va****, you ugly titfu***rs.
Posted 18 January 2010 at 01:33

UPDATE 1/18/10: 5 new cards, most of which are pretty schweet. Also, the OP filled up, so I've gotta tack things on in extra posts. Sorry 'bout that!
UPDATE 1/21/10: We've got a host of new cards, including a combo-enabler! Fun times, here we goes.

-----------
Tideforce Elemental - 2U
Creature - Elemental
Uncommon
Text:
U, T: You may tap or untap another target creature.
Landfall - Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, you may untap Tideforce Elemental.
P/T:2/1

Not much to say about this one, it's a solid limited creature for a U/x control archetype. It's actually solid in most blue limited archetypes, but it shines with control.

U/G Landfall comes to mind...

-----------
Stone Idol Trap - 5R
Instant - Trap
Rare
Stone Idol Trap costs 1 less to cast for each attacking creature.
Put a 6/12 colorless Construct artifact creature token with trample onto the battlefield. Exile it at the beginning of your next end step.

Ok, so I don't personally like this card outside of limited, even though it's essentially removal, the 6/12 with trample for 6 that dies EoT's just not that great. However, I

do like the sneak peak it gives us of what traps are going to do besides just having an alternate cost. The 1 less for each attacking creature lets us speculate: what'll they

do with the traps next? Fun stuff, I should hope.

-----------

Harabaz Druid -1G
Creature - Human Druid Ally
Rare
T: Add X mana of any one color to your mana pool where X is the number of Allies you control.
P/T:0/1

They're gonna do it! They're printing an Ally that makes mana! And it's pretty reasonably costed too! GW Allies...I can see it now. Pretty Ridiculous, and good in limited

too.

-----------
Omnath, Locus of Mana - 2G
Legendary Creature - Elemental
Mythic Rare
Green mana doesn't empty from your mana pool as phases and steps end.
Omnath, Locus of Mana gets +1/+1 for each green mana in your mana pool.

Alright, we have a legendary green creature from Worldwake, pretty cool. It's a one-sided creature Upwelling for green mana...that gets huge. This card is good, and a

limited bomb. I'm truly holding back my excitement, because I really wanna play this card, I just don't know how I'm gonna do it yet, so I'm stopping myself from geeky

ravings. Still, controlled and all, a pretty good card. Quite deserving of the Mythic Rare moniker.

-----------
Ragine Ravine
Land
Rare
Raging Ravine enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add R or G to your mana pool.
2RG: Until end of turn, Raging Ravine becomes a 3/3 red and green Elemental creature with "Whenever this creature attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on it." It's still a land.

Couple of notes on this: one, we have our third spoiled man-land, UB and GW to go; two, +1/+1 counters stay on the land, even when it's not a creature; Three, 4 for a 3/3 that

grows as it attacks is probably going to be one of the best, if not the best, man-land of this set. It's pretty good, if a bit expensive. And to top it off, it's RG.

Bloodbraid Elf Colors. Nifty.

----NEW----
Hada Freeblade - W
Creature - Human Soldier Ally
Uncommon
Text:
Whenever Hada Freeblade or another Ally enters the battlefield under your control, you may put a +1/+1 counter on Hada Freeblade.
P/T:0/1

it's a one drop ally! Neat! White allies is gonna be a deck! W/x...possibly green.

----NEW----
Terra Eternal - 2W
Enchantment
Rare
All lands are indestructible.

Well this is quite interesting. Indestructible man-lands and enchanted lands come to mind, but will it see play? Doubtful, it's quite niche in that respect. Seems like it

could have a limited strategy around it though. I like it.

----NEW----
Calcite Snapper - 1UU
Creature - Turtle
Common
Shroud
Landfall - Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, you may switch Calcite Snapper's power and toughness until end of turn.
P/T:1/4

Well, convertible turtle! For those of you who're out of the loop, Mark Rosewater is the Lead Designer for Magic: the Gathering. He enjoys giving little teasers about cards

he personally enjoys, and the so-called convertible turtle is one of them. Well, I'd say this was it, if I had to guess. As for a card analysis...it's got shroud, and it's

got a nifty landfall ability. Good limited card, but otherwise not really noteworthy.

----NEW----
Dispel - U
Instant
Common
Counter target instant spell.

Booooo overly specific countermagic. One drop, but still far too specific. I greatly dislike this spell, if only because it shows where countermagic has gone as of late.

----NEW----
Quest for Ula's Temple - U
Enchantment
Rare
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may look at the top card of your library. If it's a creature card, you may reveal it and put a quest counter on Quest for Ula's Temple. At

the beginning of each end step, if there are three or more quest counters on Quest for Ula's Temple, you may put a Kraken, Leviathan, Octopus, or Serpent creature card from

your hand onto the battlefield.

EDH fans, I found a card for that Simic deck of yours! This card's one of those niche cards that could be built around, but probably won't get there. I love it. If anyone

remembers Simic Sky Swallower, that's a Leviathan.

----NEW----
Spell Contortion - 2U
Instant
Uncommon
Multikicker 1U
Counter target spell unless its
controller pays 2. Draw a card for
each time Spell Contortion was
kicked.

Countermagic! with Multikicker! Sadly, not the powerhouse we were expecting (original rumors were that the multikicker added to what you had to pay, but that's in the past)

but still decent. And, it's instant speed card draw. Which is nice. Playable? Maaaaaaybe. I haven't given it nearly enough thought to know how this'll work out, but it

should see play. Maybe. Probably.

----NEW----
Surrakar Banisher - 4U
Creature - Surrakar
Common
When Surrakar Banisher enters the battlefield, you may return target tapped creature to it's owner's hand.
P/T:3/3

Interesting, another of the new creature type Surrakar. I don't know what a Surrakar is, but hey, Marauder was a good limited card. This one combos effectively with

Tideforce Elemental and Twitch, but not really anything else. A late pick, at best.

----NEW----
Twitch - 2U
Instant
Common
Tap or untap target artifact, creature, or land.
Draw a card.

It's a reprint. It's kinda ok, i guess, since it cantrips, but it's so expensive.

----NEW----
Abyssal Persecutor - 2BB
Creature - Demon
Mythic Rare
Flying, trample
You can't win the game and your opponents can't lose the game.
P/T:6/6

Ok, now we have something interesting to talk about! Let's look it over from a logistics standpoint. For four mana, you get a flying, trampling 6/6. Seems pretty good. As

for the can't win the game part well......that's what spot removal's for, right? I see this being played in a suicide black style deck or a BR deck. It's good, but you have

to account for it in your removal suite, so we'll see how that works out.

----NEW----
Anowon, the Ruin Sage - 3BB
Legendary Creature - Vampire Shaman
Rare
At the beginning of your upkeep, each player sacrifices a non-Vampire creature.
P/T:4/3

Interesting, a brand new Legendary creature, and it's a Vampire. Edict the field, that's pretty good (especially for Multiplayer). 5 for a 4/3? with no evasion? Won't be

played maindeck in standard. There's a small chance of it being a sideboard card for control, but it's unlikely.

----NEW----
Death's Shadow - B
Creature - Avatar
Rare
Death's Shadow gets -X/-X where X is your life total.
P/T:13/13

Yet another card Mark Rosewater was teasing us about, only this one's actually terrible. If I ever got this in my rare slot, I would be a sad panda. Seriously, it's not

good. It will never be full power, and it could just auto-die. No evasion makes it even worse. Bad card. Bad.

----NEW----
Pulse Tracker - B
Creature - Vampire Rogue
Common
Whenever Pulse Tracker attacks, each opponent loses 1 life.

Well now this is pretty cool. A one drop that attacks for 2. It's like a better version of lacerator! I like it.

----NEW----
Urge to Feed - BB
Instant
Uncommon
Target creature gets -3/-3 until end of turn. You may tap any number of untapped Vampire creatures you control. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on each of those Vampires.

Ok, so if vampires needed help (they didn't), they got their own glorious anthem. at instant speed, with combat tricks. for BB. That's ridiculous. 'ok, declare blocks here

and here, before damage cast Urge to feed, tap down my vampires and make your giant dude smaller.' Yeesh.

----NEW----
Bazaar Trader - 1R
Creature - Goblin
Rare
T: Target player gains control of target artifact, creature or land that you control.

Ummmmmm.....I got it! It combos with Abyssal Persecutor so you can instant win! no, that's not it... I don't know what to make of this card, so I'll leave it up to you

guys. Some Johnny out there'll break it (I hope).

----NEW----
Crusher Zendikon - 2R
Enchantment - Aura
Common
Enchant land
Enchanted land is a 4/2 red Beast with trample. It's still a land.
When enchanted land is put into a graveyard, return that card to it's owners hand.

The third spoiled card of this cycle, the red one's not bad. Makes a tramply 4/2 for 3. Pity it dies to burst lightning, but for 3 mana, I'm not complaining. Plus you get

your land back.

----NEW----
Explore - 1G
Sorcery
Common
You may play an additional land this turn.
Draw a card.

Wow. Talk about a good card here. 2 mana does all this? It's really good, and almost broken (1 mana would've been broken). I'm planning on using it, for what yet I do not

know.

----NEW----
Novablast Wurm - 3GGWW
Creature - Wurm
Mythic Rare
Whenever Novablast Wurm attacks, destroy all other creatures.
P/T:7/7

It's a Day of Judgement on a stick! Cool, definitely put it into a GW EDH deck. Outside of that, it's really expensive as far as constructed goes. Great bomb in limited

though.

----NEW----
Amulet of Vigor - 1
Artifact
Rare
Whenever a permanent enters the battlefield tapped and under your control, untap it.

This card? This is my favorite spoiled card so far. It just screams 'BREAK ME!!' I want to combo off with it, and I think I can. In standard, all your tap-lands come into

play untapped, turning Rampant Growth and Terramorphic Expanse into ridiculously broken cards. I love Amulet of Vigor, and I'm gonna build a combo around it as soon as I can.

----NEW----
Everflowing Chalice - 0
Artifact
Uncommon
Multikicker 2
Everflowing Chalice enters the battlefield with a charge counter on it for each time it was kicked.
T: Add 1 to your mana pool for each charge counter on Everflowing Chalice.

This card's pretty good, it makes colorless mana for the future, it's flexible, and it's got charge counters, which can be abused. I like it. It'll get played in Standard, for sure.
Posted 18 January 2010 at 10:42

One last reply, Worldwake is fully spoiled now, you can check out the unofficial spoiler here: Unofficial Worldwake Spoiler

There's some really interesting cards in there, so we'll see what happens to the constructed formats. There's at least one good Legacy card in there (one might call it a Treasure, wink wink), a Juggernaut with a Sphere of Resistance attached for all you Vintage players, and a whole bunch of goodies for Standard, Extended and Block. So have fun with the prereleases over the weekend, I don't know when Gary's going to have Worldwake in the database, but hopefully by release, and enjoy the new cards! This is Loki, signing out.
Posted 29 January 2010 at 16:00