Discussion Forum

need help countering something

so my uncle uses lure and Gaseous Form on a Kjeldoran Frostbeast and once hes got that out me and my dad just cant do anything about it. so he kills all our monsters and well we are just fucked. really the only thing i can think of is just put destroy target enchantment shit in all of my decks because he pretty much always has about 10 frost beasts in any of his decks.
Posted 02 February 2014 at 09:07

I hope he doesn't have 10 in a deck because he's only allowed to have 4 of any card other than basic land in a deck. But there's plenty you can do about that, destroy target creature spells, return it to his hand, take control of it, exile it. Depends on the color you are running in the decks you use against him.
Posted 02 February 2014 at 14:52

im not sure if its actually 10 but its def more than 4.
Posted 03 February 2014 at 00:29

lol, that's such an easy problem to get around man.

- spot removal will fix your problem as you can just shoot down Kjeldoran Frostbeast or any other creature he plays. Best colors to do that are White and Black. Stuff like Terror, Path to Exile, Mortify...

- You can bounce his Kjeldoran Frostbeast if you play blue. For instance Repulse would be pretty awesome as he looses all the aura's when you bounce his beast back to his hand and you draw a card.

A deck that goes like this

4x Rune Snag
4x Mana Leak
4x Repulse
4x Man-o'-War
4x Sedraxis Alchemist
some Parasitic Strix
4x Cavern Harpy
some mulldrifter

bunch of instant speed spot removal like Go for the Throat, Geth's Verdict, Doom Blade, Grasp of Darkness

some card draw like ponder and Impulse

I bet he isn't used to playing against shit like that :) and that's the common/uncommon really cheap version of this deck. I've played this as sort of a pauper build. I can easily make this really frustrating to play against with some additional rares.

- Stuff like control Magic can work as well but it's not instant speed and might be to late. Momentary blink on Sower of Temptation would work but the card is pricy these days.

Tradewind Rider + whatever creates tokens + Opposition will probably drive him insane

so much stuff you can pull

PS: if you want to spotremove his enchatments think creatures like Acidic Slime, Harmonic Sliver, Wickerbough Elder, Indrik Stomphowler. It's way better then sorcery/instant based spot removal as you can use them to beat his face in. Add Momentary Blink to the party and you'll have a lot of board control.
Posted 03 February 2014 at 08:10

That is one of the "oldest" combos in magic (Lure + Basilisk). It's still a three card synergy requiring a 5 drop creature... It should be fairly easy to kill him before he gets it online or at least kill the creature before you declare blockers.

Honestly, I would just one-up him. Ronin Cliffrider + anything granting deathtouch will just wipe his board before blockers are declared so your entire team gets through. Far easier to set up and far more potent. Can similarly be done with Wojek Embermage.
Posted 03 February 2014 at 09:18

[QUOTE=_Epsilon_]That is one of the "oldest" combos in magic (Lure + Basilisk). It's still a three card synergy requiring a 5 drop creature... It should be fairly easy to kill him before he gets it online or at least kill the creature before you declare blockers. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, had a bit of déjà vu myself there :)

[QUOTE=_Epsilon_]Honestly, I would just one-up him. Ronin Cliffrider + anything granting deathtouch will just wipe his board before blockers are declared so your entire team gets through. Far easier to set up and far more potent. Can similarly be done with Wojek Embermage.[/QUOTE]

I like that, give him some of his own medicine. Should be easy to set up.

PS: suddenly reminds me of not so long ago when Basilisk Collar + Cunning Sparkmage suddenly became a thing in standard. Funny how really old stuff just comes back like that.
Posted 03 February 2014 at 09:34

Yeah I had a red EDH deck built around mass pingers and death touch. It was silly. There's a ton of creatures that can wipe a field before blockers can even be declared. :D

Also, Scalding Salamander will hit everything without flying similar to the cliffriders and costs 3 which lets you set it up much faster... If you need another to top your curve or just be a bigger "bomb" there's always Inferno Titan.
Posted 03 February 2014 at 10:00

[QUOTE=_Epsilon_]Yeah I had a red EDH deck built around mass pingers and death touch. It was silly. There's a ton of creatures that can wipe a field before blockers can even be declared. :D

Also, Scalding Salamander will hit everything without flying similar to the cliffriders and costs 3 which lets you set it up much faster... If you need another to top your curve or just be a bigger "bomb" there's always Inferno Titan.[/QUOTE]

Makes me want to play this. Must be funny to see someone sweep the board (because it's the only removal he's holding) just to get rid of an oldschool Tim. Also makes me think of Horobi, Death's Wail in combo with Tim like cards. There's probably a lot of options. Aura's don't really appeal to me because of the potential 2 for 1 or worse unless in an enchantment heavy build where playing aura's draws you cards.

What would be the best color combination (preferably max 3 colors) for a ping of death themed EDH deck. (Black-Red-x(green maybe))?
Posted 03 February 2014 at 10:20

"ping" effects are largely in blue or red so going with either (or both) would be best probably. Horobi is basically a deck all his own.

If you go RU a lot of the Izzet generals are great. Tibor and Lumia are amazing with deathtouch or Charisma. Nin the Pain Artist literally pings and so do both Niv Mizzets although Niv is more kill on sight since he's also combo-rific.

If you go mono red, you've got Godo who will fetch out your deathtouch equipment for you and also untaps ronin cliffrider to wipe two boards at once as well as giving an easy win condition. Jaya Ballard pings and hates on blue at the same time... Diaochan doesn't "ping" so much but she does just outright kill two targets and it's fairly easy to make them choose [not your board]. Ashling can hit the entire board but is suicidal. Kamahl pings but is really expensive and fragile. I'd probably stick to one of the first few options.

If you go RB you get Olivia who is just obnoxious by herself but she's more of a tribal vampire or control deck.

I can't think of any good mono blue generals that would work as ping support off the top of my head.
Posted 03 February 2014 at 10:54

I could be wrong but I thought giving deathtouch was more of a black/green speciality. Blue has some bounce that can work with pingers and there's an aura that can create a Tim if I'm not mistaken. Basilisk collar alone obviously won't do it. I think JUND will likely make the strongest all round combination offering a ton of card options that support the theme.
Posted 03 February 2014 at 11:46

[QUOTE=Seth]I could be wrong but I thought giving deathtouch was more of a black/green speciality. Blue has some bounce that can work with pingers and there's an aura that can create a Tim if I'm not mistaken. Basilisk collar alone obviously won't do it. I think JUND will likely make the strongest all round combination offering a ton of card options that support the theme.[/QUOTE]

There are four deathtouch equipment now that they've printed a new one in BNG. That gives you a fair amount of redundancy, especially if you're using Godo to pull them out.

There are two blue "ping" enchantments. (Hermetic Study and Psionic Gift)

There's half a dozen of them in red though... usually with superior secondary effects as well. I don't really think that's what you're wanting to do though. It's far easier to just run the creatures that hit a whole field. Balefire Dragon and others I mentioned earlier and just give them deathtouch, infect or even things like Scythe of the Wretched.

All of the best triggered or activated damage to target abilities are in red and blue so Jund seems really out of place for it. None of the Jund generals really support it either. I'd probably go Grixis if you really have to go three colors but even then it seems like you're adding colors just for the utility when it's not really necessary.
Posted 03 February 2014 at 13:29

I haven't concidered play Scythe of the Wretched in ages but in the board sweeping way you are suggesting it sounds like a bomb. Add the many spells in red that give you a second attack fase to that and haste and you have a game ender even in multiplayer.

I don't know if the general should support the theme as most that do lock you in a single color. Last thing I want to be playing in multiplayer is mono red.
Posted 03 February 2014 at 13:58