Discussion Forum

Kinda new to Magic and I have a few questions

Hi there!

Well let me start off by saying I've been playing Mtg for roughly 6 months now and have enjoyed the game throughly. I came from playing competitive Yugioh which has a much different ban list than Mtg does which leads me to my question.

We have a small group of players (8 ish) that play regularly and a lot more in our small town who play. We do don't have sanctioned tournaments and the closest place we could go for a hobby store tournament is a little over an hour away. All of our player play anything from the newest sets to really old stuff. Basically whatever they have or had. We make do. But we decided as a group to attempt to Modern legality. This was just fine and dandy until we realized just how many cards we wouldn't be allowed to play. Like my entire Reanimator deck for example is completely banned by modern. Would it be more beneficial for us to just stick to a Vintage or Legacy format while we're just table top gaming and not competing? Or is it better to force everyone to play modern legal decks?

Will the Odyssey cards and Reanimator be allowed in modern anytime?

If you were just starting out with a group of friends playing on weekends would you even care about ban lists or play for for the fun of playing?

Anyway hope some of those questions made sense trying to wrap my mind around the system of ban lists in Mtg. Thanks again.
Posted 04 June 2014 at 19:23

This sounds like when I first started playing back in the early 2000's.
To force everyone to play modern will then limit the entire MTG collection. I run Vintage, Modern, Commander, and Standard. Odyssey will never become modern. As far as Reanimator, that can be modern but you have to find the Modern cards to make it that way. I know that sucks because the Vintage reanimation was amazing. Anything from 8th Edition and up is Modern. They changed the card style when 8th Edition came out. If everyone forces to move to Modern, you will be spending a little bit more on MTG then you are now. Work your way on up to Modern, dont just instantly ban anyone that still can't play modern.

Look at this Angel deck that i have updated from Vintage to Modern:
http://www.mtgvault.com/cagerat07/decks/modern-angels-2/

I personally love Vintage because those cards were sooo much fun to play. If you get a chance, take a break from playing each other all the time because then it will become routine on how things play out.

The ban list i dont care about with friends because everyone there is just to play and get more experience. The ban list will apply to the ones who got tournaments at your nearest card gaming store.

Also if you are wondering what a Commander deck is, i will post a link to mine that i play. First though, here are the basic rules. Choose a "Legendary Creature" as your Commander. Preferably to your color style of play because whatever Mana you have to pay to play the Commander, is the only colors you can play into the battlefield. I.E: My Commander is Akroma, Angel of Wrath and her casting is 5:manaw::manaw::manaw: so i can only cast colorless and White. It is a 100 card deck (that includes your Commander). All cards in the deck cannot be the same name except for basic lands. Life total is started at 40 because it is a Single card deck and takes some time before it kicks off. Your Commander stays in the command zone until you are ready to play your commander. Your choosen Commander can't do anything until it has had it's Mana payed for to be brought into the battlefield. When your Commander dies, you can choose to put it into your graveyard or Command zone and have to pay 2 more colorless mana to cast it next time. Look at the MTG website for more details on the gameplay.

Oh here is my Akroma's Angelic Army Commander Deck:
http://www.mtgvault.com/cagerat07/decks/akromas-angelic-army-edh/
Now my Commander is in the Sideboard to show who is my Commander. This will eventually change once i get more of the cards i just ordered in.

Hope this helps and sorry if it was a little long winded

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
("If you want peace, prepare for war!")
-Flavious Vegetious Renatus 390 AD
Posted 28 August 2014 at 23:09