Discussion Forum

Burn Deck

A buddy of mine and I have just recently taken up MTG and put together a few decks. The first one i had was pure plains and i won about 20 games before he decided to quit for the day. He was using a simple burn deck.

Today he went out and bought a bunch of new cards (basically to have multiples of the ones he likes) and i cant seem to beat him.

I feel ive gotten unlucky, or hes been extremely lucky rather, in drawing.

Its a deck that contains 4 cards that allow him to add 5 mountain land cards, and if he draws two at the beginning, you can see how this gets out of control.

Basically if he gets this lucky string of events he can have somewhere around 20 land within three turns, and if he also drew his instant spells that go directly to me, im in a rough position.

Example:

Starting hand he plays the type of land that, when tapped, grants one mountain energy.

One turns later, he plays the above mentioned 5 energy card (Cost is 3, so the 2 bonus mana + a basic he plays adds up to three). He then plays another of those. Also an artifact that has charges to use which grant him more mana.

He then plays a large amount of instant spells (varying from 3 damage directly to player, to 5+amount of mana on the battlefield).

Hes gotten strings like this a few games in a row and im wondering what type of deck might be solid for playing heads up against him, as he seems to really enjoy this deck for obvious reasons.

Anyway, looking for any help available.

Thanks
Posted 21 September 2014 at 11:41

- At least write down the name of the cards you want to discuss if you have questions
- I have no clue what the card you describe could be and I strongly doubt it exists, there's no way you can have 20 land in play by turn 3, it's impossible. It's more likely that you are playing the game incorrectly.
Posted 22 September 2014 at 11:38