Discussion Forum

Amonkhet Discussion

First of all, I know the last couple decks in the general page are mine, but no one posts anything there.

What are your theories on the Amonkhet block, cards or lore?

One common theory is that the trials are Bolas farming walkers. Some people don't believe this, because walkers are insanely rare. So the question here is: why would he use Amonkhet for his walker farm? I'm sure there are other planes he could use just as easily. So my theory is that the spark is more common on Amonkhet than in other planes. This will make for some good commander fuel, as well as a few extra planeswalkers in the block. I'm thinking about eight walkers, which leads into the next point.

Who will the walkers be? Obviously Bolas, since he rules the plane. I think it was confirmed that one of lili's demons was here (although my information might be off), so that would mean she's a sure bet. Gideon will be rotating out, so he'll have to be in. Hopefully Ashiok will be one of the Worthy. Than either Crucius or Vraska, not both. Either way I want a sphinx walker. That still leaves room for two or three walkers, assuming they're going with eight.

Next comes the gods. Obviously, if Bolas wanted them dead they would be, so what does he want with them? Are they just created by Bolas so the people don't really know whats going on? Are they controlled by Bolas? Were they made to give the people false hope? Is Bolas one of the gods? Is lili's demon one? Is Bolas going to be like Apophis to the gods?
Also, what colors are the gods going to be? Shards? Wedges? Mono? Enemy? Ally? And will they be enchantment creatures, artifact creatures, land creatures, just creatures?

What will be used in the set? Traps and curses? Spell based? What reprints?

Lastly, the races of Amonkhet. I expect that the demons will be snake or serpent demons. What about mummies as W/B zombies? Will the races be humans and lots of animal races, like I'd prefer? Obviously sphinxes will be in there somewhere. What animals will be represented in the races? Cars? Crocodiles? Snakes? Scorpions? Birds? Hounds? Sheep? Will most of the native walkers be animal people? They've had a lot of human walkers.

I just wanted to post some ideas. I'm really looking forward to this set.
Posted 31 January 2017 at 02:28

New information:
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/amonkhet-packaging-full-art-lands-and-art
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzBYTobRTz4

There are five creatures near the end that are the gods. We're getting a cat god, an ibis god, a crocodile god, a jackal god, and a cobra god. All of the gods have weapons, which will probably be represented. Also, on the booster packs only one card is the god. The rest are probably mortals. Are sphinxes mortal?

No matter who the gods are, it looks like we'll be getting ibis aven, leonin, crocodile people, jackal ainoik, and cobra orochi. We'll of course get humans. Sphinxes of course. Maybe goblins as a tomb raiding type race? Otherwise we'd have a goblin-less standard

Lili and Gideon are both in it, probably the only two gatewatch members. If you look at Lili's art, you'll see mumies shambling behind her. Since she normally deals with zombies, mummies are going to be zombies. The colors are up for debate though. Lili's lounging on a throne eating grapes and being fanned by a peacock feather fan. What else would she be doing? We also might be getting Nissa, since she was included but neither Chandra nor Jace was implying that the three there are more important to the storyline. However, Nissa was in Kaladesh so I doubt it.

We're getting full art land! And as Bolasland should be, his horns are stuck right in the middle of every land. Perfect.
Posted 21 February 2017 at 01:15

EDIT 2: Based on Kaladesh, I'm guessing that there will be hyenas, monkeys, camels, rhinos, goats (which also fits with the picture), angels and demons of course, snakes, crocodiles, and cats. Lots of constructs were African animals. Dragons, because neither of the previous sets had many (where was my eldrazi dragon?), plus there's Bolas. I doubt there will be many sea creatures like crabs or fish.
Posted 24 February 2017 at 23:52

EDIT 3: Possible leak: a combination of flashback and split cards. Looks interesting, but ugly. I'll link the card, and a discussion about it that has a translation.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/cards/amonkhet/28554-dusk

www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/the-cube-forum/cube-card-and-archetype/cube-new-card-discussion/772691-dusk-dawn
Posted 19 March 2017 at 03:54

EDIT 4: First spoilers (basically)
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/so-much-amonkhet-news-2017-03-27

We are getting white zombies. Get necromancer's covenant now! There also appear to be black zombies that have something to do with curses. Hopefully the cards will return. Also, I'm guessing the cursed are the people who died but didn't pass the trials. What do you think? Will we be getting curses? Will zombies be mainly B/W?

Someone was nice enough to gether this information for us from the cards.
https://www.reddit.com/r/mtgvorthos/comments/61v7b6/notes_from_the_new_spoiler_loot/

P.S. Don't post in this line, I'm trying to save this just for edits
Posted 28 March 2017 at 18:25