Discussion Forum

Using older cards

I'm going to build my first Standard rules deck, and I have a question about the cards I'm allowed to use.

If a card is allowable, because its in the latest Core Set, can I use an older copy of that card, or do I have to have cards of the allowed set only?

e.g. Goblin Balloon Brigade dates all the way back to Alpha...and is in M11 as well.
Posted 17 May 2011 at 17:04

you can use any copy of the card as long as the card's been reprinted in a current Standard block.

so yes, you could use your Alpha brigade in this case.
Posted 17 May 2011 at 19:41

[QUOTE=Seras]you can use any copy of the card as long as the card's been reprinted in a current Standard block.

so yes, you could use your Alpha brigade in this case.[/QUOTE]

It has to be played in sleeves though because alpha cards are different than all other sets. They're a tiny bit smaller and if you're only playing a handful of alpha cards with the rest of them being newer, you're technically playing with marked cards.
Posted 17 May 2011 at 21:32

Also, if you're playing with any older prints of cards that have been reprinted in the latest sets, or even if you're playing in an eternal format with cards that have not been reprinted in a long while, it is good to check the errata for that card (found at magiccards.info).

A lot of cards have changed over the years, with their rules wording being updated or changed entirely, or even card types being modified. An easy example would be D'Avenant Archer, who's original printing in Legends showed it's card type as a "Summon Soldier". Viewing the errata on magiccards.info reveals that the card's types have been modified to "Creature - Human Soldier Archer"

If you're attending a tournament with cards that have been errata'd as such, it's always good to print out the errata, just to have a reference on hand. In casual settings, though, I always tell my opponents to look it up if they don't believe me. (But that falls to the philosophical debate of who's responsibility it is to keep up-to-date with card rulings and erratas. You very well might want to have the information handy then too. I don't, just because that'd be way too much printing for me!)
Posted 18 May 2011 at 13:19

If you're playing with older cards its a good idea to use sleeves. The older core sets had white borders instead of black, and when the cards are stacked and not sleeved, you can tell which cards have the white border.
Posted 18 May 2011 at 14:43

Thanks for the input. I don't have any Alpha cards, but I get the jist of the thread.

I also notice the text has been changed on some cards (even the casting cost...just cant think of it right now)...I assume that the latest text only would be accepted as legal.
Posted 19 May 2011 at 19:20

I know of cards whose creature types and even rarity have changed, but I'm not familiar with any cards that have been reprinted under the same name with a different casting cost...
Posted 23 May 2011 at 15:23

There's a card in alpha that was reprinted in Beta with a different mana cost. Don't remember what it was though.
Posted 23 May 2011 at 23:13

[QUOTE=NightLoki]There's a card in alpha that was reprinted in Beta with a different mana cost. Don't remember what it was though.[/QUOTE]

All my years of playing magic, and I never knew this. Interesting. I'll have to look this up later.
Posted 03 June 2011 at 17:55

[QUOTE=NightLoki]There's a card in alpha that was reprinted in Beta with a different mana cost. Don't remember what it was though.[/QUOTE]

Orcish Oriflamme and Orcish Artillery were both mistakenly printed in Alpha costing 1R. They were corrected (along with several other mistakes) in Beta.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/arcana/38
Posted 06 June 2011 at 23:53