Discussion Forum

Standard Old School Mirrodin Deck

Hello Everybody!

This is my first post on the forum, so I wanted to make sure I said hi first! Hope to post a lot more.

I play casually, but inherited a pretty cool collection of cards that I just spent the last few weeks sorting, and now that everything's sorted, I'd like to keep my decks block oriented, so I decided on this deck from the Mirrodin block.

Please make any suggestions you'd like, since this is my first posted deck!

Creatures-

4 Atog
4 Megatog
4 Iron Myr

Spells-

4 Annul
4 Retract
4 Echoing Truth
4 Early Frost

Artifacts-

4 Nuisance Engine
4 Spawning Pit

Land-

4 Seat of Synod
4 Tree of Tales
4 Vault of Whispers
4 Great Furnace
4 Ancient Den
4 Mirrodin's Core

I'm thinking that it's fairly straightforward what I'm trying to do. Build up tokens to sacrifice so I can beef up the Atog/Megatog and just crush. Hopefully hold off the other player in the early game with control.

Looking forward to any tips / tricks / whatever you might have to offer! :)
Posted 17 May 2011 at 22:57

Hi Evil, welcome to the forums! I'm gonna move this thread over to eternal since it doesn't actually fit the guidelines of the Standard forums (Standard is the deck's format, in case you were wondering).

Moved.

Okay, now that that's over with, I see an old-school version of Affinity...kind of. I like it, it's nice.
Posted 17 May 2011 at 23:05

One of my favorite cards from this period is Arcbound Crusher, which I see working well here. It never hurts to have another big tramply guy, especially in today's game where everyone is playing lots of artifacts.
Posted 19 May 2011 at 14:25

Disciple of the Vault is more a less a staple in Affinity/Ravager/Atog decks. It's a way to do double damage in theory (sac the artifacts to Atog pump plus 1 loss of life (per Disciple under your control) for each artifact you sacced to it). Definitely add in 4 Disciples.

Beyond that, cards are what you need, fast ones. Look to Frogmite and Myr Enforcer to give you fast creatures on the table. As they both hit Affinity, Frogs will hit the table usually by turn 2 (often turn 1), with the Enforcer following up by turn 3 or 4. Thoughtcast is also an essential card from the Mirrodin block as it's a cheap card drawer (as it has Affinity, too).

Otherwise, to stay with the red theme, Shrapnel Blast is a great choice for some damage. It hits hard and saccing an artifact to it usually isn't so bad (as Disciples will do damage with that sac, too).

Bottom line, speed is what you want. You should be able to get away with having everything at a 3 CC or less (Thoughtcast being the only thing above 3, but with Affinity, you'll never be paying 5 for it).

Other options include:
Cranial Plating (massive pump)
Ornithopter (speed)
Chromatic Sphere (coloring/draw and scales with Disciple)
Thirst for Knowledge (draw)
Fling (not in the Mirrodin block, but saccing a bunch of artifacts to Atog and then Flinging him over a blocker makes for faster turns)

Cheers!
Posted 20 May 2011 at 15:54