Discussion Forum

Mono Red Dragon Deck

Watsup guys =) This is my first post =).

I made a Red Mono Dragon Deck, and i just want to see what you guys think about it.

Spells
4: DragonStorms
4: Seething Songs
4: Lightning Bolts
4: Pyroclasms
2: Lotus Blooms
1: Spitting Earth
1: Disintergrate
1: Banefire

Monsters
4: Bogardan Hellkites
4: Dragonspeaker Shamans
4: Iron Myr
2: Ryusei, falling star
2: Flameblast Dragon (i took 2 mordant dragons out for flameblast because i think there better because flameblasts can effect creature and player whilst Mordants can only effect creature.
1: Urabrask the hidden (praetor)
1: Kargan Dragon lord

Land
23: Mountains
(thinking about adding teetering peaks or sumthing like that)

I added Iron Myrs in there just to give that extra mana boost and to have early blocking creatures, dragon speaker shamans comes out on turn 3... I vs alot swarming decks, alot of fast paced so ryusei comes in handy, clears everything when it dies. Urabrask slows the opponent down, Kargan dragon lord i love becasue his only 2 mana and can easily become a threat.

MAIN STRATEGY
Use seething songs and lotus bloom to get to dragonstorm = 4 B Hellkites (along with 2 other spells)
I dont rely on this because alot of the time the opponent counters seething song or lotus bloom which screws things up.

I want to mix this deck in with Black. I want to make a reanimating dragon deck do you think this is a good idea? maybe chuck in a iona in there? do you think it would be more deadly? NEED FEEDBACK THANKYOU =)
Posted 19 May 2011 at 11:28

A common dragonstorm deck, if you want to splash black, would be to instead search out four Kokusho, The Evening Star. Being Legendary, all four hit the graveyard, dealing 20 damage to the opponent. In my R/G dragon deck, I use the green hideaway land to hide Dragonstorm, and play a bunch of spells, then storm it for most of my dragons, so that's another option.
Posted 19 May 2011 at 14:20

yeh thats one dragon i have mind, i was thinking about using teneb and maybe having either karrthus of jund or was thinking about broodmother, but i wanna know what you think about the reanimation part? do you think thats a good idea or if i should use black should i just stick to ramp cards like dark ritual and not use card like animate dead, exhume etc?

Thanks for the reply BTW.
Posted 20 May 2011 at 01:10

The problem with dragonstorm is that it's only 4 cards in a deck of 60 and not having it in your openings hand probably means loosing. A one shot mana boost (=seething song and the likes) into a single dragon is't a good strategy because it's serious card disadvantage. A single removal spell by your opponent kills you.

You could improve the dragonstorm plan by:

3xDragonstorm main/1x dragonstorm sideboard
4xBurning Wish

that helps, now you have 7 cards instead of 4

When adding black you could look into

4xPutrid Imp as a turn 1 discard outled

4xKokusho/4xBogardan Hellkite/4xDemigod of Revenge as win package

3xBogardan Hellkite+1xKarrthus, Tyrant of Jund is nice too when dragonstorming and having to go +20 damage

4xBuried Alive as graveyard plan with Demigod
4xReccuring Nightmare is always nice (and broken with kokusho)

- You can add Demonic Tutor and Yawgmoths Will to increase consistent wins,
- you can mana ramp with Seething Song/Dark Ritual/Pyretic Ritual/Rite of Flame

You could include 1xWorldgorger Dragon + Animate Dead + Banefire combo
Dark Ritual/Animate dead/Entomb for turn one savegery
Maybe even Sneak Attack which is nice with reccuring nightmare

... tons of options...not very "fun/social" though
Posted 20 May 2011 at 14:36

Thanks Seth, very useful information.

Yeh i get your point its not really social, but im more a person who really gets in to games in a serious way, winning is more fun to me than having a fun deck. =)

Thankyou for your input.
Posted 21 May 2011 at 07:34

[QUOTE=YKS]Thanks Seth, very useful information.

Yeh i get your point its not really social, but im more a person who really gets in to games in a serious way, winning is more fun to me than having a fun deck. =)

Thankyou for your input.[/QUOTE]

Post a build once you have something that works
Posted 26 May 2011 at 07:25