Discussion Forum

EDH Commander Rules

I wanted to double check on something before I legitimately build this deck. As I understand it, you begin with 40 life, and win by either taking the other person below 40 or by having your commander deal them 21 damage (besides variant win-cons, like mill, etc.).

The issue I'm looking at is I can find nowhere that it says that the 21 damage has to be combat damage. Therefore, if an opponent had in some way gained 2 life and was at 42, then if your commander is Heartless Hidetsugu, simply tapping him wins you the game. Is that correct?

In anticipation of this being correct, I threw together this deck: http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=211205

Thanks, guys!
Posted 20 July 2011 at 00:43

Quoting from the edh rules website:

[QUOTE]10.
If a player has been dealt 21 points of combat damage by a particular Commander during the game, that player loses a game. Details

A player can lose if he or she is dealt 21 points of combat damage by his or her own Commander (ie: under someone else's control).

[/QUOTE]
Posted 21 July 2011 at 17:20

Even if that doesn't kill him via commander damage, doing that much damage in one hit REGARDLESS is still pretty damn nasty. :)
Posted 22 July 2011 at 16:17

It's even better if you give him poison with the equipment that I can't remember the name of.
Posted 22 July 2011 at 18:41

[QUOTE=Mercedes]Even if that doesn't kill him via commander damage, doing that much damage in one hit REGARDLESS is still pretty damn nasty. :)[/QUOTE]

That 21 damage is over the period of he entire game, not in one hit.

Having to pull that off in one hit would be insanely hard.

Though my play group practically ignores that rule because we're too lazy to keep track of it :D
Posted 22 July 2011 at 19:23

I think we did this weekend, too. Then again, I lost to a machine gun Niv Mizzit/Ophidian Eye combo with Psychosis Crawler. The guy nearly decked himself trying to kill us; if I'd had just a few more life either me or our other opponent would have won by default. XD

And, actually, the OP DID mean to hit his opponent for 21 with Hidetsugu in a single hit. Scroll up. :) Hidetsugu's ability in EDH is MEAN. O.o
Posted 25 July 2011 at 11:57

[QUOTE=Mercedes]I think we did this weekend, too. Then again, I lost to a machine gun Niv Mizzit/Ophidian Eye combo with Psychosis Crawler. The guy nearly decked himself trying to kill us; if I'd had just a few more life either me or our other opponent would have won by default. XD

And, actually, the OP DID mean to hit his opponent for 21 with Hidetsugu in a single hit. Scroll up. :) Hidetsugu's ability in EDH is MEAN. O.o[/QUOTE]

Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind/Ophidian Eye combo was literally the first magic deck I ever made.

Of course I used Snake Umbra instead because I was a total nublet, but who's counting? :D

Also, graveyard shuffle! ALWAYS bring graveyard shuffle if you play a deck with Niv-Mizzy
Posted 25 July 2011 at 20:45