Discussion Forum

"What if" challenge: Red Lanny

Hello fellow deck builders! Since I can't for the life of me think of a deck to build, I've decided to spend some time making some fun challenges. I want to make a series of challenges called "What if" challenges. These are based around hypothetical ideas to see just what would happen if a certain card and/or rule was changed.

For today's challenge the "What if" scenario is: What if Llanowar Elves were red, and produced red mana? Or, what if there was a goblin counerpart that produced red mana?

When you make the deck, just remember to put in Llanowar Elves as if they were red and produced red. Anything you do after that is up to you. Have fun! :D
Posted 04 January 2012 at 21:55

You sir are a psychic... literally about 2.5 hours ago I was putting the finishing touches on a red/white stuffy doll deck, because well.... I was bored, anyways it ended up only having sol ring as an extra mana source, so I started to look for one or two drop red creatures that could produce mountain mana... to my dismay there were none, after dinner (and a little skyrim playing) I read this and my dreams were henceforth fulfilled so without further ado... :D:http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=278892

Not a competitive deck (and tbh it's probably not very good in casual either as it is agonizingly slow imo) I just thought It would be fun to cast a blasphemous act/shivan meteor on a stuffy doll.
Posted 05 January 2012 at 00:01

[QUOTE=SSHouston]I started to look for one or two drop red creatures that could produce mountain mana... to my dismay there were none[/QUOTE]

It isn't a red creature, but Iron Myr might fill the gap you're looking for in casual play.
Posted 06 January 2012 at 08:01

YES! I forgot about the myr... Great call Mr. ChurchIsHere thank you :D
Posted 06 January 2012 at 12:37

What if you could cycle rampant growth!? :eek:
Posted 07 January 2012 at 20:30

I actually thought up an equivalent that could be used as a 'red llanny':

Name: Goblin Firestoker
Cost: :manar:
Type: Creature - Goblin Shaman
P/T: 1/1
Rules Text: :symtap:: Add :manar: to your mana pool.
Rarity: Common

It's literally a colour shift of Llanowar Elves. I chose a goblin for multiple reasons, but mostly because I thought it fits best. I chose Shaman because I think it fits as the red equivalent of Druid :p
Posted 10 January 2012 at 11:34

Well, he would work with Intruder Alarm and Grinning Ignus to eliminate the need to use Skyshroud Elf and a third in a storming combo. Turn 3 win with Grapeshot.

But then again, I feel like I'm cheating if I use Intruder Alarm. Here the deck is anyway. http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=281268
Posted 11 January 2012 at 02:16