Discussion Forum

Who should be my next general?

Hey, all. My group has been getting more into EDH lately, and I'm going back and forth on who my next general should be. The ones I currently have are:

Wort, Boggart Auntie
Animar
Rhys, the Redeemed
Ulasht, the Hate Seed

These are the generals I'm considering for my next deck:

Malfegor
Thelon of Havenwood
Agros Kos
Anowon, the Ruin Sage

I already have all of these generals, and many of the cards I would use. Honestly, at this point it'd be more about which is more fun to play than actually being super-competitive. I'm just interested to hear some opinions about these. If there are other generals you'd like to recommend, that's cool, too--but try not to suggest one that is used by many (Seizan, Uril, Zur, etc.)

Thanks!
Posted 23 January 2012 at 18:16

- Malfegor is pretty bad especially in long multiplayer games where having no cards in hand when your opponents all have 7 or more is really frustrating.

- Thelon of Havenwood could be fun. BG gives you a lot of options and a Fungus beatdown theme might be fun to play.

- Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran is agressive and might make for a good 1 vs 1 beatdown general but the lack of carddraw is something to concider. WR decks run out of gas fast.

- Anowon, the Ruin Sage is very playable. I would make it a control build rather then a vampire theme deck. Tribals are pretty bad in a singleton format and I see him more like a constant edict effect (like The Abyss).
Mono black aggro/control can be very competitive.
Posted 24 January 2012 at 14:16

First thing's first...Seizan is considered a commonly used general?! :eek: When the hell did that happen? Anyways, let's look at the dudes you're considering.

Malfegor - This is one of those generals that you either make an amazing deck out of, or a completely terrible one. There really is no in-between. My buddy runs the best Malfegor deck I've ever played...It's suicidal in some ways, but kicks ass in 8+ multiplayer EDH games (which take hours, but are a blast). If you can pull it off, more power to you, but as Seth also alluded, more often than not, Malfegot will be a swift kick in the balls.

Thelon - A different buddy of mine uses Thelon. I would strongly consider this one. One major power in EDH is "recycling"...anything that has multiple uses in a singleton format is powerful. Fungus are VERY re-usable due to their inherent ability to continually produce more creatures. Make it fast, aggressive, and based on horde mechanics and you'll have a blast.

Argus Kos - I've never played against an Agrus Kos EDH to be honest. I'm unsure why either...for a classic Boros Warfare styled deck he would be a very good choice. Boros does tend to kill itself with its own speed, Seth is right. You could counter that with Skullclamp and some token shenanigans, as well as some other card drawing sources (can't only rely on the clamp =P). You could also go for a 'voltron' approach since he needs to attack for his ability to work...

Anowan - I've played a number of Anowan decks. It's true that a controlly design would fit best, it doesn't hurt to stick a few good vamps in there. They will stick around by avoiding the sac ability, and will provide additional control, or work to chisel away at your opponent(s) while the control holds them at bay. Try to sneak an It That Betrays in there, and anything else with a similar ability. Anowan's sacrifice trigger with those kind of abilities will net you a ton of fun toys =]
Posted 24 January 2012 at 23:52

A fun general to play that I've been running for a while now, and hardly ever see anyone else play: Cromat

Don't get me wrong... I rarely EVER play him... he's kind of a last resort thing... I've cast him from the General zone 3 times in the past month... and I play almost daily lol!
Posted 26 January 2012 at 21:55