Discussion Forum

Getting back into magic

I got out of playing magic around Shards of Alara. At the time I really disliked the way people would mix the newer sets with old/classic cards resulting in some really broken combos. I hated the Planeswalkers and the way the newer cards made it too easy to create ungodly combos. I really enjoyed the older sets where I felt one could be more creative. My decks were never all powerful, but I enjoyed building and playing most of them... they were somewhat competitive and fun. But my refusal to use the newer sets, that I felt broke magic, has left me behind and I've not been playing much at all for years.

Have things gotten any better? Will I enjoy starting over with the newer sets?
Posted 13 May 2017 at 05:04

Basically...No, thing's haven't gotten any better.
There still are many combos, you can, and should, still mix newer and older sets and take the best cards you can get out of them for your deck. There still are broken cards out there and in every edition, tough that often depends on one's point of view.

But there are 2 points that might be of interest for you:
First, standard (T2) is getting more attention and there the card-pool is limited to the last 2-4 editions. The cardpool is limited, the decks play (normally) slower, but there will be nearly as many different decks as in Modern (T1.5).
Second, if you want to get back into magic but don't like those over-powered cards look for pauper (or peasant, a more unknown format) players. Cards here are limited to commons only and thus aren't as powerful as their big brothers. Drawback is that again you should take the best cards from any edition, advantage tough is that they will be cheap ($) to get.
Posted 30 May 2017 at 10:16