Discussion Forum

Question about a potential combo.

In Aether Revolt, Syndicate Trafficker can't sack an artifact to bump him up +1+1 and gain indestructible. Now you have to pay one to do so. Defiant salvager gets a +1+1 counter as it says sacrifice an artifact. I'm wondering if I pay for syndicate, will it trigger salvager as well? Just a deck I'm wanting to mess around with. It's in my decks under nightmarket sweepstakes if you my wording is confusing. Any help is much appreciated.
Posted 23 January 2018 at 08:46

No, you can't sacrifice something for 2 different effects. On nearly all cards the sacrifice is part of paying the costs for the spell/ effect and this sacrifice doesn't use the stack so the creature is long gone when you get your next priority to do something.
Posted 25 January 2018 at 09:53

Excellent, thank you for answering!!! I've been wondering and searching for awhile now.
Posted 25 January 2018 at 17:27

Quick rule of thumb, if it's before a colon, it happens before the effect goes off, it's part of the cost. So any "Sac a creature:" means that the creature is GONE before the effect goes off, it's part of the payment. And yes, that means if someone counters the ability, the creature is still dead, just like if someone countered a spell, you don't get the mana in the cost back.
Posted 14 February 2018 at 00:26