Discussion Forum

"Frontier" or "Post-Modern" format.

A friend of mine brought this new format to my attention, it's apparently called either "Frontier" or "Post-Modern" and I was wondering if anyone here had any thoughts on it. In this format, anything from Magic: 2015 onward would be legal. (M15, Origins, Khans of Tarkir, Fate Reforged, Dragons of Tarkir, Battle for Zendikar, Oath of the Gatewatch,Shadows Over Innistrad, Eldritch Moon and Kaladesh). It would be non-rotating, like Modern so new sets would add to the available pool, but there would be a cut-off point from earlier stuff like Modern-Vintage.

What I think are the pros:
1) Players who have either started or gotten back into Magic in the past few years, would have more cards available to use. New players have already seen cards rotate out of Standard pretty fast.
2) The decks that dominate Modern, the ones I hear the most complaints about, would be gone (infect, affinity, dredge, storm, etc.)
3) While certain cards might spike in price due to renewed interest, the cards available would still be cheaper and more widely available than a lot of Modern cards.
4) Cards that were usable in Standard that became forgotten about when they rotated into Modern would see life again. This would prolong the "shelf life" or value to players who sunk money into this game in the past few years.
Posted 13 October 2016 at 16:02

Never heard of this, though granted I'm more of a casual player. Also, after a couple years it would get like modern is now. They'd have to tweak it to get it to work, at least for the points that you wanted. Maybe if they picked certain sets from the history, and made those legal that would help keep it down. So maybe for example, mirrodin, return to ravnica, and shadows over innistrad. They'd probably pick more than that though.
Posted 13 October 2016 at 21:33